• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Remembering animal companions no longer with us...

Nicki

Following on from Karlin's thread about remembering at this time those who are no longer with us, I thought it might be good to start a special thread for them:

Our precious Princess Peaches who went to the Bridge in January, to join Fillipa and Isabel - all Cavaliers.

Also remembering all those precious animals who honoured us by sharing their lives with us in the past:

Tigger, Pooky, Sixpence, Marmaduke and Shaboo - all Kitties

Benjamin Bunny and Flacky the Guinea Pig

Penfold, Custard, Biscuit and Humphrey the Hamsters

Sunny the Budgie

What a lovely idea.

I'm looking at Misty & Cracker's picture up on the wall and thinking of them both now.

We've also had precious memories of Declan this Christmas, very much missed every day still.

Yes what a good idea
The first dog was a black and white collie called Judy who was a family pet
The next was a little dog called Bobby a rescue dog
The next one was Penny who was Cocker spaniel a puppy farm bitch
Then came Ben who was a Cocker spaniel
The next one was my little Cavalier Mattie
The next one was Rocky who we lost this year in March

Aileen

An excellent idea.....there was Sam the cocker who lived until 13 years of age, Sophie that touched my soul so deep-basset hound that died at age 8, Noel the mix...so delightful that earned her wings at the age of 14 and dear sweet Moses puppy(English Shepherd) who died at the age of 8 months. I miss you all!!

Our daughter had this "Memory Board" of our beloved Charley made for Christmas. It made me cry, for all the right reasons.

333464727_40e5858e4c.jpg

This is a nice idea :)
Two little dogs that shared my life:
Heidi, my first pup and very precious poodle mix
Tasha, my tiny, fluffy little maltese mix

Remembering animal companions

This time of year seems good for this type of reflection.

For our family we have:
Zap, long haired domestic cat--lived to 18
Ming, siamese--lived to be 21
Then we discovered everyone but me really was allergic to cats!

Toby, rescue cavalier--lived to be almost 16

All have their own special stories which I'm thinking about right now. Just finished reading the book "Marley and Me" which one of my sons gave me for Christmas. It's a great reflection on animals, families and the paths they go through together.

Margaret

This prayer which was posted to another breed list to which I belong seems to fit this thread so even though it is Boxing Day already, and no longer Christmas, I thought I would share it will you all:

On Christmas Morning...

For every dog searching trash cans for breakfast,
a filled bowl with his name printed in bright letters.

For every dog who slept unfitfully last night, chained in a frozen
yard, a soft, warm bed with a person snoring gently nearby.

For every shelter dog, spending Christmas morning in a soiled run,
a forever home, filled with sounds and smells of family.

For every "Christmas" puppy given today,
a tolerant, caring owner who won't abandon you
as you grow into a real dog.

For every ailing pet,
enough money for your owner to pay the bills
to make you well.

For every lost dog,
a clear, safe road, and well marked path,
to lead you home.

For every old and tired friend,
a warm fire, and a soft bed,
to ease your aches and pains.

And especially...

For every Heart Dog at the Bridge,
a moment when you know that you are remembered today,
missed again, and loved forever.

Author unknown

teddy, my first dog, b.1958-d.1963, she came from the pound when i was 9 and she was about 2 months, she was a cocker mix, perhaps cavalier, overall ruby colored with black and tan mixed in and little white on the chest, long flowing hair on tail, lush golden feathers in her toes, large long haired spaniel ears (complete with matts), the sweetest heart, happy, friendly, always playful, smart, she learned any trick i tried to teach her. she was such a good girl, as she was often told. killed on a road after running off in fear of firecrackers. I miss you teddy, i was honored and priviledged to have you as my first dog and best friend. i wish i could touch you and see you teddy.

frank, b.1967-d.1980, a stranger gave her to me as i walked down Haight St, i had no home of my own at the time, she was about 4 months old, i was 18, we had so many adventures, right up until the end when she was 13. best friend anyone could have, partner, sidekick, sweet sweet dog friend, so loyal and true, smart as they come, sensitive, funny, playful, affectionate, she was a sheltie mix, cute little thing, didnt have the pointed sheltie nose but had the coloring and ears and other markings, probably had some terrier. Frank, i know we will be together again, you are always in my heart, every day, like you never left. Stay close with Teddy and we will be together. i love you.

her memorial is at
http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1510

From Tracy Chapman's The Promise--someone had the song playing on a website tribute they made for their dog, it made me think of teddy and frank with lots of tears:

If you wait for me then I'll come for you
Although I've traveled far
I always hold a place for you in my heart
If you think of me
If you miss me once in awhile
Then I'll return to you
I'll return and fill that space in your heart
Remembering
Your touch
Your kiss
Your warm embrace
I'll find my way back to you
If you'll be waiting
If you dream of me like I dream of you
In a place that's warm and dark
In a place where I can feel the beating of your heart
Together again
It would feel so good to be
In your arms
Where all my journeys end
If you can make a promise
If it's one that you can keep, I vow to come for you
If you wait for me and say you'll hold
A place for me in your heart.

First there was Shrimpey, who was only in my life for a short time but will always be part of me.

The biggest love of my life was Suzy, a JRT/peke cross. She came into my life as a puppy when I was five years old and lived with us for another 21 years. She was such a big character, that 13 years later people still talk about her. Christmas has always been a hard time for me as it was our day; I always got her to open the presents for me and for years after I couldn’t open my presents in that same room as the memories were too painful.

But we always remember her on Christmas day at dinner time because as soon as she had woofed her dinner down in the kitchen she would walk into the front room, under the table where we were eating and do the biggest burp you had ever heard. How she managed to time it each year I will never know.

Then came my darling Dizzy, a yorkie whose owner needed to find her a new home. She was my familiar. Always by my side. I loved the way she would always fall asleep in my arms. The way she had to show every big dog over the park that she was tougher then them, even though if they had barked back at the she would run a mile. Her illness was devastating to me and for two years we battled the illness together before it took its toll on her little body. But she left me with the best present ever; because of the illness I was asked to take SiânE on.

Over the years there have been many other pets including budgies (mostly psycho) and fish, I remember every single one of them and count myself lucky that they wanted me to be part of their lives.

This time of the year sure does bring back a lot of memories...

Firstly to Toffee, our first cat, although your life was cut short i still remember you fondly, I was only four and I spend many hours playing with you in the backyard, turning the hose on when i couldn't find you and within a blink of the eye there you were playing with water (so unlike a cat you were!!!)

Then there was Cosmo, we saved you from being put down and you spend years and years terrorising our neighbour and when we brought home Jake you tormented him, but in the end he wore you down and u let him sleep next to you :lol:

My Beautiful kind gentle soulmate Jake, the most wonderful dog I have ever known, I miss you so much, life will never be the same without you, we all talk of you with a smile on our face but tears in our eyes, i know you on the rainbow bridge with Nelly, Kira and Cosmo

Kira my beautiful blue eyed girl, we will never know where you went, but the day you never came home you broke our hearts, you were the most cheeky but sweet cat i've ever known, Jake was so devastated when you went, but know i'm sure your together again.

Pusspuss the kitten, we only had you for 2 weeks but we loved you none the less (she had a massive heart defect and had to be put to sleep :( )

Patches, Sunshine, Daisy our beautiful canaries, Buddie, Blue and Lettuce our cheeky Budgies, Bubble and Squeek the cute quails. And those crazy finches Ming and Ping and their babies Pingu, Sooty and Mr Plod

My rats Mr Nelson, Achita, Kalyani, Mayonaise, Major Chucho, Panda Bear and Polar Bear, I loved you all even though Mum and Dad thought you were gross
My Mice Pepi, Possum, Beluga and Dugon, you guys were cool even if you stank!!

A lot of animals have passed through our house over the years all loved and cherished, I thank them all for making me the person I am today, they all brought me joy, all taught me something about life and will all be missed. To all the pets that have passed away I hope you bellys are full and your hearts content wherever you may now be.
:l*v:

soma said:
...Pusspuss the kitten...Patches, Sunshine, Daisy our beautiful canaries, Buddie, Blue and Lettuce our cheeky Budgies, Bubble and Squeek the cute quails. And those crazy finches Ming and Ping and their babies Pingu, Sooty and Mr Plod...My rats Mr Nelson, Achita, Kalyani, Mayonaise, Major Chucho, Panda Bear and Polar Bear, I loved you all even though Mum and Dad thought you were gross
My Mice Pepi, Possum, Beluga and Dugon, you guys were cool even if you stank!!...

that's quite a colorful collection of names! :lol:

hehe I know :lol:
They were all characters though so they needed some colourful and strange names 8)

my cat sadie was pts 2 weeks ago so i was thinking of her this christmas day when my other cats got there presents she will not be forgotten

What a sweet thread! I know all of these animals know that they impacted our lives! I hope I gave them the satisfaction that they give me :)

Brandy - My cocker spaniel that I had from when I was a month old - lived to 9 years old
Choo-Choo - My sweet cocker boy who lived to play with me, I got him when I was 4 - 11 years old
Max - My sweet baby Springer, who was a very sick boy and we took him in from a family who could not take his medical woes - 2 years old :(
Mickey - My beautiful liver Springer, who was also a take-in sick little boy - 5 years old
Maggie - The queen bee Springer, a dainty little lady who was everybody's friend - 14 years old
Senorita - My grandfather's chihuahua (but we all claimed her as our own) who died of a broken heart 3 months after he did - 4 years old
Kitty - Our tortoise shell calico that Santa brought me when I was 6 - 13 years old
Herculese, Bohemium Rhapsody (Bo) & Robert Redford - My 3 gerbil boys I got in college who I loved like they were spaniels

*ng*l *ng*l *ng*l *ng*l *ng*l *ng*l *ng*l *ng*l *ng*l *ng*l

Here's mine:

Sam, the Border Terrier who howled in perfect time to my less-than-perfect rendition of 'Away in a Manger';
Dolly the kitten who ran away...
Holly the Cocker, whose memory is always particularly vivd at Christmas time. Unlike my present Holly, the Cocker was a real Christmas pup, born Dec 25.
...and last but now means least, Hamish the female hamster with the cutest little baby face! :D :D

What a wonderful thread... :thnku: Nicki :hug:
My baby:
100-0082_IMG-1.jpg

The most precious gift ever bestowed upon me.

The last thing I expected when Nicki started this thread on Christmas Day, was to be posting about my darling baby Topsy.

Lady Tops, I'm missing you so much. You were a special lady, who made a massive impact on our lives.

Back