• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

ear thermometer

judy

for xmas my daughter got me an instant ear thermometer for dogs and cats, here's a link to what it looks like
CLICK

it was on my wish list.

has anyone else ever used one? I tried it out on Belle and Zack. It was really easy to use, fast, dogs didn't seem to mind. the results it gave were 100.2 for Zack and 100.4 for belle. I was reading that normal for a dog is between 99 and 102.5 rectal. I wonder if the values would be different for the ear thermometer, would like to find out, maybe it's in the literature that came with it, haven't had a chance to read all of it, just th quick start instructions.

i don't know if i'll ever need to use it, but i wanted to have one on hand, in case i would need to know zack's temperature.

Judy, what a good idea - I didn't even know these were available for dogs and cats. I have never taken my dogs' temps because I am afraid to, but I would be very willing to use this thermometer. Thanks for the enlightenment!! :)

Cathy, i love your new avatar :snap: was that professionally done or did you guys set it up that way? i love how distinctly each personality comes through.

I was reading a FAQ on line about the thermometer, actually there are two models, one for professional high volume use called Vet Temp and the other for low volume home use called Pet Temp.

They say the results are the same as rectal temperature on a glass thermometer but more accurate because the result comes up instantly (core body temperature) while with the rectal it takes time to get the core body temperature because of the distance?

here's a link to a FAQ about Vet Temp which is much more detailed than the info on Pet Temp. there's a link to the Pet Temp info on the page too.
http://www.vet-temp.com/vt_faq.htm

There's a considerable price difference between the 'vet' and the 'pet' versions. The pet one sounds good to me.

Last winter I took the trio in for a professional photo session, shortly after Chocolate joined the family. The photographer has this funny sounding 'flute' that she blows to make them tip their heads. :lol: She is so good with the dogs!

In doing Emergency Vet Clinic work we used regular (human) ear thermometers to get a base read. If it gave us a reading that was either too high or too low we would re-do and get a rectal reading. A good idea for just getting a basic read on a situation - and the dog doesn't mind it nearly as much!

Back