Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Limping 7 month old

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Limping 7 month old

I have a 7 month old cav puppy. She has started limping on rear paws. She tends to slide on harwood floors and her legs slip and then she will start to limp for 1 or 2 steps. All of the posts on Pattella subluxation are making me very nervous. Breeder has told me that there is no family history at all. Has anyone had slipping and limping issues that were not patella problems?
    Diane

Mom to Maggie Mae 2 year old Cav & Cuddles the Cat and CoCo her sister, at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

If she has hair covering the pads of her feet try trimming the fur away from the pads o she can get better traction. She might just be spraining her leg from sliding around on the floor.
    Mom to 2 Shih Tzu boys, and 3 Cavalier girls.
    Waiting at the bridge: Saki and Kiku my first two Shih Tzu's
    and Katie and Winston my first two rescued Cavaliers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Patella luxation can be caused by injuries to cavaliers who have no family history of patella problems.

My India injured her knee as a puppy, and developed luxating patella. The vet did not know the cause until he performed surgery; he found a torn cartilage was the problem.

Your vet will be able to determine whether the patella is normal by feeling it.

If your dog is slipping, try trimming the hair between her paws - it might make a difference. Also, throw rugs can help.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do get her right away to a vet -- this does potentially sound like patellar luxation but whatever the case, needs to be investigated. Does the breeder have certs for patellas that you have seen, and does she actually test for them, or is she simply saying there's 'no history'? If the breeder doesn't actually health test for this, then she is is probably unlikely to know whether her lines are at risk from this problem; most breeders do not keep track of every puppy they home (and wouldn't be able to) and many owners will not return to report problems to the breeder (though people always should as a conscientous breeder will base breeding decisions on such information).

If the pup is limping, it is a clear sign that she is in pain and needs to be seen by a professional; only a vet can make a proper medical diagnosis. A pup will notstart to limp unless something is definitely wrong. They also will not limp just from playing on hardwood floors -- I have hard floors throughout my house and many breeders have tile floors or hard floors without any problems. Mine also will slip around when playing (though do keep hair between feet clipped short to minimise slipping. However she needs her knees checked and any other possible cause for the limping).
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Our little Cooper was also diagnosed with luxating patellas at about 8 months of age and had his first op 3 weeks ago. He seemd to start limping out of the blue too and it gradually got worse over the next few weeks. He would hold his back leg out straight to try and get the patella back in place. The limping would last a few seconds and then he'd be ok.

There was also no family history that the breeder knew about and they do documented health checks. So unless an owner didn't report the problem to the breeder, this came out of the blue. When we rang them to let them know, they hadn't heard of any problems with the rest of the litter either. So from personal experience - no family history doesn't mean that it is impossible to be a congenital problem. I hope it's just a strain but I would definitely get her to a vet. Just in case. Cooper went from a very occasional slip - to nearly 3 weeks later just before the op having a lot of trouble.

On another note, our elder cav Fergus tried to jump on a bed that was too high for him at about 7 months and was limping after that. He had just hyperextended his leg and some anti inflammatories settled him down quickly so it may not be patellas, but definitely get it checked.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Limping 7 month old

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie's Mom
    I have a 7 month old cav puppy. She has started limping on rear paws. She tends to slide on harwood floors and her legs slip and then she will start to limp for 1 or 2 steps. All of the posts on Pattella subluxation are making me very nervous. Breeder has told me that there is no family history at all. Has anyone had slipping and limping issues that were not patella problems?
    Hi Diane. I saw in your other post, on the Harvey broken tibia thread, you said Maggie had a hairline fracture of a leg when you first got her. Is it the same leg that's limping? I hope you can see a vet right away to clear up what's going on and get her some help. good luck, i hope it's not too serious.

Post Thanks / Like

She will be going to vet on Thursday. Maggie actually had a hairline fracture of her front paw. Now having problems with rear. She will only hold paw up for a few secs. Never even yelps. The rest of the time she runs and plays normally. She is fine when there is carpet, but has trouble on wood floors. I am having her groomed Friday. They will trim paws, if vet can not do it.

I am just hoping it is the strain from paws slipping or anything else. I have insurance, but not for anything congenital. I need to change my company.
    Diane

Mom to Maggie Mae 2 year old Cav & Cuddles the Cat and CoCo her sister, at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Karlin. Go to the vet straight away and get it checked out. The sooner the better! If it is the patellas it can be treated and in the vast amount of cases successfully. Daisy Boo was diagnosed at 9 months and is perfect now at 17 months.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Maggie saw vet and they think it is crucial ligament. On rest and anti inflammatories. Will recheck in 2 weeks. I guess it is slightly better than Patella issue, but still has an 80% chance of surgery. I could cry. She is such an active puppy that it is so sad when she has to be confined. We have 2 cats and she thinks she can do anything they do.
    Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you got some bad news Diane. The upside is that it is something that is fixable. Keep us posted on how she does.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah