Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Walking a puppy, how long? Pavement walking?

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm quite sure I haven't walked Dylan for too long. It's just the pavement issue I wonder about. The fireworks just started as I typed that People are always having fireworks here, all year round, money to burn! I hoovered today with Dylan in the room in his crate, he didn't mind at all, he just lay there I even hoovered a few inches from the crate and he didn't flinch, yay. I've put his crate under the dinner table, a chair broke so it's where the chair was. It works out well like this. Previously he was in the kitchen and I had to plug in a heater at night as it's very cold otherwise. The lounge is warmer and the crate was driving me mad being in the way.

Post Thanks / Like

My deck steps are very high. Lily does go up and down them when I take her out. I'm afraid I'll fall with her if I carry her because she is getting bigger. Especially at night, because I can't see as well. Will this cause problems for her legs? There are about 16 steps. She started using the steps about a months ago. Before that we were carrying her. She is 20 weeks.
    Sharon,
    Mom to Bleinham Cavaliers Lily, 5 years old, and Alfie, 8 year old puppy mill rescue.
    At the Bridge, Chloe, Lhasa Apso.

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 5 steps to the back garden too. For the same reason, the chance of falling while carrying, I let Dylan walk up and down. Each step used to be 3 bricks high which I found hard to climb myself, we had a builder make them 2 bricks high. I did nearly fall once when I carried a Yorkie down them, I didn't drop her but she got a good squeeze

Post Thanks / Like

Right....I figured better to let her walk than drop her. I did almost fall with her one night, and that's when I started letting her walk. There's no way she can fall through the sides, because they are enclosed, and the steps aren't open. We would both be hurt if I fell while carrying her.
    Sharon,
    Mom to Bleinham Cavaliers Lily, 5 years old, and Alfie, 8 year old puppy mill rescue.
    At the Bridge, Chloe, Lhasa Apso.