• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

He licks when he scratches...

My Wesley

Firstly, I think Wesley may have some dry or sensitive skin or maybe allergies to the PetSilk Shampoo and Conditioner I use on him. It just seems like he gets itches. I surely don't think fleas because I don't see anything. When he itches the back of his front right leg, he licks his face. It's funny to watch but is it bad or is this common?

Thanks!

We are having, expensive, problems with Teddy , who has allergies. The vet first mentioned a flea allergy, but I said I'd seen neitherbite, flea nor its detritus in his coat. She said that a flea allergy was still possible. However, tests show that he's not allergic to fleas, but is to dust mites.

I would try an oatmeal shampoo designed for irritated skin. I use episoothe and I follow with resisoothe leave in conditioner. Both products are made by virbac. I would also brush/comb daily. This alone my solve the problem but if it does not it should at least provide some instant relief.

Not sure if you get these products where you are or how expensive they would be but they last for ages as are very concentrated.

The licking is a normal reflex mine do it all the time when they are very itchy. (however mine have chronic skin conditions :( )

How old is Wesley ? Could it be like a puppy form of cradle cap ?? Don't even know if there is one but who knows ?

It probably wouldn't hurt to have the vet look at him, since he is so young. The vet could also advise you about how often to bathe him and what to use; our vet has special gentle shampoos for cases like this.

We had a similar problem with India when she was a small puppy, and the vet was very helpful. He checked her skin to help diagnose the problem.

Well thankfully he is going in for his 2nd vet visit on Tuesday for his last round of shots, so I will have them take a peek then. He looks fine too me, and I don't see any real signs of irritation. Just scratches here and there. But I guess we scratch all the time too. It's just interesting to watch him lick his lips while he scratches his leg. Kinda odd.... :?

Our little Maddy was scratching all the time. The Dog Bakery gave me a sample of oatmeal shampoo. I shampooed her and the scratching has decreased enormously. She does still scratch a bit but not like she was doing. The shampoo is
Earthbath oatmeal and aloe.
At the same time I did change her food to Candiae lamb and rice.
I was originally giving her Purina mixed with cottage cheese and some soft dog food.
Pam

This is somewhat off topic I guess, but our Remmy sticks his head in the air and licks the air when you scratch his back. It is sooo cute.

i've never seen the licking while scratching thing here, i'm having trouble picturing it.

it's not unusual for dogs to get dry skin from frequent bathing.

since i first got zack, i've been using Four Paws Magic Coat Oatmeal Shampoo, no conditioner. I don't bathe him very often, i think about 5 times in a year. His coat looks and feels soft and beautiful and clean whether i bathe him or not. he doesn't have any odor. :flwr:

Back