• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

puppy day care

Harley & Carley

I will be returning to work at the end of next week(3 days/week). Our 2 puppies are still much to young to leave at home for several hours at a time and my puppy sitter isnt available until the end of January.
I was at the vet this morning and found out that they have puppy day care at their clinic for $10/day for both puppies. They will place them in an indoor run and take them out to pee/poop every few hours. They will also probably let them hang out in their office space periodically and hold them because the staff there think they are s precious.
Any experience on how puppies at this age (14 & 16) weeks do on that environment? Does it affect housetraining much as they will take them out, but do not provide formal "housetraining" education?
Any thoughts are appreciated.
THanks

I have used 3 different doggy day cares in the last 3 years and they were all wonderful. 3 of my dogs have gone when they were young. I took them there while I was at work. I started them out a 12 weeks old.

Right now I take my puppy, Jolly, every day. He socializes with lots of different puppies, dogs and people and he gets to play his heart out. He really loves it and I know he is safe. A puppy can get into so much trouble when he is alone and I don't think he can be trusted yet to be home with the adult dogs.

I am not sure how long I wll be doing this. Jolly was 6 months old on the 15th. I'll have to gauge when Jolly can be trusted. As of last weekend, he isn't ready yet. We went to dinner on 2 separate nights last weekend and both nights he dug all the dirt out of the house plant and left it all over the hardwood floor. He also chewed up part of a throw rug. :lol:

Taking the puppies to day care did not hinder their housebreaking training at all.

I pay $15/day for Jolly, so your price quote is very good.

I still take Merry & Pippin occasionally. They love the interaction and people coo-ing over them. I don't know if I will try it with Luke, because he hates to meet new people. It makes him really nervous. I just got him in May and he is not comfortable meeting strangers.

Here is another thread on this website where we have discussed doggy day care: http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4362

Puppy day care sounds like a great idea and I wish it was affordable in my area. It certainly wouldn't be $10 a day!!! My only concern would be if they are in the vet clinic's office, would they be exposed to any of the other sick doggies coming in? I would just check to be sure, but I am sure that they would be fine because if anyone should know better, it would be the vet!!

$10 a day sounds amazing compared to my area ... you can't hire a dog walker in my area for $10 for a half a hour!!

The nearest doggie day care to me is about $25/day. But they are owned by my vet too, like the one you are looking at, so I think it's worth it, but can't be an every day thing for me. It's actually a doggie "resort and spa" ... LOL. I haven't taken Lucky there, but starting in the next few weeks I am thinking of taking him one day a week. I work from home, but I thought the extra socialization will do him good. :)

Back