• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

feeding 2 puppies at the same time

Harley & Carley

I have tried to separate my puppies at meal time, but they spend most meals distracted by being separated from the other puppy - as if one's meal was better than the other's!!

I do the 15 minute rule, and after a meal or two, they will eat enough to keep going, but for the most part, they havent really improved upon their eating routine.

I have tried allowing them to eat in the same crate, and they are more interested in the food, but the larger and more dominant will eat from both bowls and eat more than her share because she is a faster eater. She is very polite about it, no growling or unladylike behavior.

The smaller and more submissive puppy will eat a little at a time. Because she eats more slowly, the food is gone before she has had her share. Quite often, she just site back and looks at the bowl. Also, she is quite reluctant to eat from a bowl, though she drinks water from it easily - I wonder if the breeder fed them just on the floor? She does seem yo do better if I just put it on the floor.

The vet said today to allow them to have separate bowls in the same crate and the smaller one will eventually learn to eat out of the bowl and at a quicker pace.

Does this sound OK?

Have you tried having the crates in separate areas or side by side? I would really think that having them eat alone in their own crates would be best. That way one isn't being overfed and the other isn't being underfed.

My Wesley gets very distracted with even wanted to play with us during mealtime, so I will sometimes have him eat in his crate, and sure enough he finishes his bowl.

What are they normally doing before they eat? Playing or sleeping? Wesley's meals are usually right after he wakes up either from the night or from a nap. And he seems to need about 15 minutes of play in there to get himself up enough to eat.

They do get about 15 minutes of play time before they eat, and I have tried having them separated but able to see each other and eat side by side separated by the crates - it didnt work either.

I had 2 puppies at the same time and always fed them separately; they each had their own x-pen. This is the only way I could be sure of how much they each ate.

Sounds like our two... We have ended up separating them. Spencer sometimes doesnt like eating from the bowl either (but does in a big way when he really is hungry :roll: ).. But if they dont eat after 15 or 20 minutes we pick up the food and let them out.

My pup Cody is the same way and inhales his food before my adult Wesley has chewed his first mouthful. Cody would eat his food and Wesley's if he had the chance. I keep them seperated with a baby gate so that way Wesley gets his fair share.

I'd *never* feed in the same crate -- one might get most of the food and you'd have no way of knowing and also you could end up with a very bad fight in such a small space. Also: vets are about the worst to give advice on training and behaviour issues. :lol: (but quite seriously, they are). Great for health issues, but terrible often on diet and training and behaviour -- and your issue involves all three of those areas! :lol:

This is what you need to do:

1) separate crates
2) put food in with puppy and close door and totally leave them alone
3) after 15 minutes, open door, remove food, no fussing over puppies, no attempt to encourage one or the other to eat, zilch. Just pick up the bowls and take them out and allow the puppies out.
4) no food or treats again until the next feeding time. No exceptions. No big deal about the next eating time, no fussing, no talking, no trying to encourage the puppy to a bowl. Just do 1,2,3 again.

I will guarantee you that within a week both puppies will be eating all their food. If one isn't -- this is NOT a big deal. Puppies will not starve them sleves and one may not need the amount you are feeding (how much are you feeding?). If the puppies are really distracting each other then put the crates at oppsite sides of the room or separate rooms.

PS You are experiencing one of many reasons why most breeders and dog trainers do not recommend getting two puppies at the same time. Each puppy needs to have the same amount of time, attention, and separate training, time with you, etc -- just like working with human twins -- it is one heck of a lot of work as it is twice the workload, if twice the cuteness as well :). If you haven't read the links at this thread in the Library, I'd recommend doing so as there are lots of tips on how to avoid many of the potential problems -- and some can be very challenging, so be sure you know what to avoid and what to expect -- of two puppies at the same time:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1956

Thanks for the advice. They are eating in separate crates now and although the smaller one doesnt eat all of her meal, she is eating enough, i think. She is about 4 1/2 lbs and eats about 1/2 cup ( or a little more) per day. THe bigger puppy is about 6 1/2 lbs and eats about 3/4 cup per day. I am in the process of switching to 2 meals/day with a large snack in the afternoon.

They get along great and are getting alot of individual attention. They do share a playpen but have separate crates, and are not left alone together. My husband takes one or the other to work with him, and they both do well with this. It is double potty duty, but with there being 4 of us in the home, it hasnt been too bad. THey have both learned to go and be quick about it!

We are still getting up at night with both of them, at separate times, and my husband and I are taking turns. Any idea when this will end???

It has been hard having 2 puppies, but we wouldnt trade it for the world!

Back