• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Furniture Scratching

Maggie's Mom

Maggie is 7 1/2 months and loves to scratch my leather furniture. We have 2 cats who do not scratch and now she has started. She seems to be looking for something inside and between the cushions. Any suggestions on how to stop the scratching before I need new furniture.

hi maggie mom.... lily does that on my knee digging....

sorry no advice this is why i dont let lily on my sofas as i wont take the risk....

sure someone will offer some advice as sofa are expensive to keep replacing.... :flwr:

Oakley does the same digging thing - we just divert his attention onto something else (Merlin has never been a digger so it must be from Oakley's dad as they have the same mum)

Both India and Geordie tried that when they were younger. I was very firm and removed them from the sofa immediately when they did it. They eventually stopped doing it.

Are you sure there is nothing there? It's amazing how tiny a particle of something attracts them. Joly and teddy were trying to dig under our gas fire this morning; all for a tiny treat which have fallen under there, at least two weeks ago. I don't know why they suddenly discovered it.

I always thought that was a "nesting instinct" as my dogs would do that before they would lie down. I always tell them no and they settle down.

If it isnt a nesting behavior--scratching around and moving in circles--there could be something, even just a scent, on the cushions. Perhaps someone dropped something and picked it up, but the scent is still there.

Have you cleaned and wiped the furniture? Aside from that, saying no and redirecting the dog is the next step.

Back