• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

'scooting' in puppies - is it normal

Katie

I understand that excessive 'scooting' in adults can mean problems with anal glands, but our 16 wk puppy does it every now and again, having us all in fits! Does it mean anything at this age?

if you're concerned about it I would have your vet check it out..

Kosmo still scoots sometimes and he's fine. I kind of think that the "if it itches, scratch it" theory applies every now and then for them.. lol :p

Wesley scoots too and it drives me nuts! He has his next vet appt on Tuesday so I am going to bring that up to them. I'd really hope he doesn't have anal gland issues already. For him I just think it's an itch.

Scooting is just part of being a Cavalier.

Have you ever noticed the "smile" on their face as they scoot past?? :lol: :lol:

If it's excessive, they might need expressing but one can *do* that at home, if you prefer. :shock: :shock:

Dylan just likes to wipe his bum after he goes I think! My son said your bum would itch if you didnt wipe it!!!! :lol:

Actually, Chocolate was scooting a little over the past few days. So hubster took her to the vet and her anal glands were fine! We think a little hair must have tickled her... :lol:

Alfie has scooted ever since we got him 4 months ago. Our vet tested his poo for any parasites etc, that was clear and last week he had his anal glands emptied at his six month check up and the vet said he should now be ok. It has made any difference and he has happily carried on scooting. I agree I think he just enjoys it. Especially when we have visitors!!!

Bella scoots all the time, and has since we got her. Our vet didn't seem to think it was anal glands, rather just a breed trait.

We have a book about Cavaliers and it touched on this topic.. it was really funny. It said something like:

"Scenario: You have a house full of guests, and you're anxious to show off your beautiful dog. And here comes your dignified puppy, scooting across the carpet with a silly look on his face in front of everyone" :lol:

Is the scooting actually dirty? I haven't seen Wesley leave any skid marks. Sometimes he does it before he poops, sometimes after. But no marks. Our other larger dog that we used to have would leave awful nasty skid marks. It was disgusting.

Our Charley and Mary Alice were/are scooters.

I don't think it's necessarily related to "toileting", it's just something they like to do....probably feels good! :lol: :lol:

No skid marks here, thanks. ;)

All three of mine scoot, even when they have had anal glands emptied. Just seems to be a cavalier thing. When really excessive it could indicate a range of problems and it is always good to have a vet check them when you have the dog in or if you have any concerns, as they can get impacted and infected and this is more likely to happen in small breeds apparently.

I don't regularly empty the glands, BTW, and some breeders feel once you start doing this it has to be done all the time. I give a good diet with good roughage -- carrots as treats, occasional prunes as a treat, etc -- all help keep anal glands working well.

Both of ours scoot!!! And yes...the smile is also present. No harm done...so we just chuckle!!! Punkin' had an anal gland absess last year at 18 months...on Superbowl Sunday....it was so horrible. Spend the day at emergency clinic...no excessive scooting that we remember. But when Daddy tried to pick her up she squeeled and we knew there was something wrong after we looked and her butt was all swollen. While she was healing there was scooting from her butt being shaved. She still has her anal glands even though they suggested removing them after she healed, but since she hasn't had any problems we haven't removed them.

Cher scooted a lot too when she was younger..but only for 2 days ..then i brought her to the vet.. worried bout it ( like all of the new moms do.. icon_whistling ) vet thought it could be worms.. and gave her dewormers.. and it works :) she scoot much less now.. not sure it was the dewormer or she just got tired of scooting though .. :lol:

Back