• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Going to pick Ollie up in 3 hours! **UPDATE**

cavalicious

Hi everybody :D

The day has FINALLY come! The day I've been waiting for for 3 years :yikes

THE DAY I BRING OLLIE HOME!!!!!!!! (y) :jump: b*n*n* :wggle: :jump: :rah: :mexwav: :w**h**: :jmp2:

We're taking him home :drivecar: in a cat crate. The trip goes for about 1 hour and then we are home! :D

Other then having a PERFECTLY SAFE home :v*cuum: Got any suggestions on what to do? I will take him to the toilet straight away and then should I show him around the house? Play with toys etc?

Should I put his collar on straight away?

I'd love to here stories about your pups first days! :flwr:

Thankyou in advance from a new mum who wants to get everything right :)

***UPDATE***

Ollie is home and sound asleep! He cried a little bit in the car on the way home but he soon fell asleep so that was good :) I took him out straight away and he did a big wee (y) And then we went inside and he had a good sniff of everything. He was a bit shakey at first very scared.. poor fella :( I gave him some food and water but he only had a nibble.

I took him outside again and he had a BIG play and realy opened up and was jumping into my lap and eating grass and plants. It was so very cute :lotsaluv:

His had 2 naps now and hopefully this one will be longer :xfngr:

The cat hasn't taken a liking to him yet but she hasn't attacked so I'm pleased with that :jmp2:

I've had a hard time telling if his gone to the toilet or not! :huh: I take him outside and sometimes he feels a little wet on his belly but I haven't seen him do anything. I want to praise him but I don't know when to!

Also.. he has an 'umbilical hernia' (I think) and the breeder said to just push it in whenever I pick him up etc. I think I've only pushed it right in once and I don't want to hurt him.

Oh yeah one last thing.. the breeder is fantastic! She wrote a pretty long puppy manual and has helped out with EVERYHTING! The puppy pack was great it had some food, blanket with smells, heartworm and flea protection, toy with smells, couples of days worth of food and my favourite: A CD with all of Ollie's photos! There was around 50 of them and she even put a sticker on the front with his photo. :jump:

Everything has gone so well and he is the perfect puppy! :mexwav:

I'll post photos later tonight for everyone to see! :snap:

Got any suggestions on what to do?

To Keep your house as safe as possible for a puppy, Dont leave any valuables on the floor, as a cavalier and any puppy will love to have a chew of it, even if they have millions of toys.

Like My ones they got my assignment and wripped it up cos i left it in the corner on the stairs. (dogs do really eat your homework lol)

I thnk it is best when you bring him home take him straight in the backgarden!! you then bring him into the house, give him some attention
and not to much attention!!! lots of people over a cute little cavalier could scare him!! i know its hard cos their cute little faces!!!lol

You can then have a little play with him!! and He will properbly have a sleep, as soon as a pup wakes up take him into the back yard for a toilet.
Puppys sleep a lot.

You dont hv to put in on straight away you can put it on for a couple of hours each day to get him used to it, and then attach the lead and take him for short walks in the garden.

i would like to wish you all the best with Ollie and i hope to see pics!!

you will Love him forever :D

Thanks for all the great advice Suzanne! :D I'll do everything you've suggested I've also made the loungeroom a little area for him at the moment. A big area for play, the crate is set up there and all the toys too! :)

one suggestion is, see what toys he likes to play with at his breeder's and get that for him. i saw that zack loved bully sticks at the house where i got him, that was my first introduction to the concept :shock: and he really enjoyed his bully stick when i got him home.

personally, i don't have a collar on zack anymore, he only has a harness and he doesn't wear that in the house, but when i first got him, i had a collar on him, the one he had where i got him. If i got a second puppy, i might put the harness on some of the time so he or she woudl get used to it, but most of the time, i'd leave it off, for comfort.

If there's a toy or blanket he can keep from the breeder, that would be nice.

i found it useful to have a soft cloth bag filled with rice that you put in the microwave for minute and it heats up, and then you leave it in the crate with them during the night, it stays warm for a long time. Also, you can look into snugglepuppies. i didn't have one, but if i get another puppy i would like to get one.

generally don't leave them unsupervised with anything they might be able to bite a piece off of, and err on the side of caution.

also, i would say supervise all the time. don't give him opportunities to pee/poop in the house or chew the wrong things, by keeping him in whatever room you're in. don't allow wandering out of sight, both for safety and to make training easier. if you can see him, you will be able to catch him if he 'assumes the position' or starts circling in an area, and you can put him right outside, so he starts getting the idea.

He might miss the other dogs, so you could get down on the floor and play with him a lot. he probably already loves tug of war with a toy or rag. And when he wants to rest, hold him in your lap, if he wants.

oh, and...HAPPY NEW YEAR! Congratulations!!!!! :flwr:

I remember when i brought brady home he was pretty good. it took him a little while to get used to the idea of the lead, but he's okay with it now. in the beginning he would chew it and dance around it and stuff. it was really annoying, but he has gotten better. when you bring him home, my only thought is keep the crate that you bring him home in accessible to him. when i got brady he went in there a few times for the first few days. it was the first thing he remembered when i got him and i think it made him feel safe in his new place. he still likes his crate (i have a larger one for him now) and remember that they learn and they make mistakes, that's why puppies are so cute. if they were ugly and did bad things we wouldn't forgive them as easily :D and remember have fun and take lots of pictures!

Sounds like you are already way on top of it! Being prepared is the number one thing, I think. We brought Ellie home and she was fantastic during the trip. She didn't make a peep! Although we gave her many trips outside, first thing she did when she came in was poop in the hallway. :sl*p: On our way, my fiance got a really nasty stomach thing and actually ended up in the hospital for Ellie's first night home. He was there for the next 2 days, too, so it was just me. Thank goodness we were ready for her, otherwise I would have been even more of a wreck. :) I'm sure Ollie (which was our name for a boy cavvy btw) will sleep and cuddle a lot. Enjoy!!!!!

Thanks for all the input everybody! I cannot wait to get Ollie.. it's just 2 hours now!!! Yay! :D I will see how I go and then I will have my own 'first day' story to tell :p

cavalicious said:
Thanks for all the input everybody! I cannot wait to get Ollie.. it's just 2 hours now!!! Yay! :D I will see how I go and then I will have my own 'first day' story to tell :p

don't forget the photos :snap:

I took Jolly home in a cat crate too, just this past September. I put his collar on right away and he didn't mind it at all. I took him outside to go the bathroom first thing, then took him inside to explore the house. Can't wait to hear about your experience today.

What Judy said about the toy or blanket from the Mom is great advice. My breeder rubbed a baby receiving blanket all over the Mom before we left. Lily slept with it in her crate and I really believe it made a difference. She never really cried in her crate that first week. So happy for you! Can't wait to see pics.

YAY!!!! :jump: I can feel your excitement!!! Im so happy for you and I cant wait to see Ollie's pictures as he grows!! I unfortunately have no advice as to what to do when he first comes home as I too am waiting for my Cavy (hopefully he/she will arrive next summer) but good luck and Im sure itll be absolute joy from here on ;)

all i have to say is awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

Back