• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help needed... no poos...

kimberlya

Ellie has done very well with housebreaking in the past few days, with no accidents inside yesterday. It has always been a little bit of a struggle to get her to poop (we've had to walk her around for a little while in order to get her to go). However, this morning she pooped inside the house immediately after coming in from outside. That was at 11:50 am. She had lunch at 3:00. It is currently 6:10 and she has not pooped again since then. We've taken her out constantly. At this point, we're taking her out for a good 15 minutes, then coming back in and putting her in her crate for 20 minutes, then bringing her out again. I'm afraid if we take her out to play, she'll poop right away. When we take her out, she starts sniffing all over the place. We've been playing this game for 2 and a half hours now. She'll pee immediately once we get her out there, but pooping is definitely posing a problem. Any suggestions???? ASAP as we're going crazy and afraid that she'll have some kind of problem for holding it in this long.

When you have her outside, make sure you are calm and quiet. Just let her wander around. Have a treat in your pocket to give her immediately after she poops while still outside.

Don't bring her in immediately after she poops, in case she likes being out and is therefore avoiding pooping to extend her time outside.

Make sure she's drinking enough water. Does she have water in her crate?

We've been through the same thing - try not to show you're worried.

If she poops in the house, don't say 'no' or she may think it is wrong to poop at all. Just take her outside.

Well, we tried to put water in her crate but she just tipped it over. I also tried to put her right in front of her water dish but she just ran away. When she gets outside she immediately pees, then starts to whine and head for the door. She'll pull and pull to get back in. It is cold here, and I think she might not want to be outside at all. I'm afraid that when she was pooping inside the house, I said "no". I hope I haven't messed her up too badly. My fiance and I are taking turns bringing her out to avoid the stress but it has now been 3 hours and it is really getting to us. We just want to make sure she'll be okay. :(

I purchased a "dog" water bottle-- It has been a blessing for the pups. It is about 10 dollars/ holds a quart and doesn't leak. Sandy

We just decided to take a trip to the pet store to get one tomorrow. Thank you!!! About to try this again... :(

Do you have a little coat for her to wear outside??

If you have snow, did you shovel a wee pathway??

Sorry, just trying to think of how to make her comfy while you wait outside.

As a little one, she cannot stay outside for long....

Don't worry about one "no", but it's better to reward than to punish.

If she was mine, I'd chance taking her out of the crate...but watch her and be prepared to rush her outside if she starts to circle or assumes the squat position.

Good luck, persevere, she'll catch on soon. :)

Don't know what to tell you about the poops. Jake and Shelby are now 3 and 4 and eat at 2:00 but may not poop until night night potty at 8:30. I think I would agree with Zippy that one definitely won't harm her. I would take her out and just keep an eagle eye on her. The minute you see her start to circle around and hunch up to go, scoop her up and pop her outside.

Thanks for your help. I have her on my lap now. :) We did take her out and play with her for awhile. We don't want her to feel like she's in trouble. We don't have snow, and we did get a coat but it is too small. Maybe we'll just put her in it for tonight anyway. We're just going to keep her out and go out at the first sign of sniffing and squatting. The ideas are much appreciated, as we are first time puppy owners and want to make sure things go well. We're learning. :)

One good tip that I was given for our Charley....when he was tiny, I'd wait til he was urinating/pooping and then say "tinkle" (you can put in whatever word you wish).

It sounds bizarre but as the dog recognizes the word, they'll go on command.

It came in very handy on those cold winter nights....tell him to "tinkle" as soon as he hit the snow...BINGO!

You have to watch for Ellie to be peeing when you say it.

I'm now trying (not successful yet) to train Mary Alice to "go" on command.

Mary Alice needs to walk a block before "going"!!! We don't have snow yet!!

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!! Haha. Thank goodness... We really appreciate your info and tips. It really helped to keep us calm and focused on the task at hand. :) As first time "parents", any help we can get is useful. My fiance was amazed how many responses we got so quickly. THANK YOU! You all are the best. :)
Love Jim, Kim, and Ellie

Hi Kim

Success! Here's a few tips we learned with Libby! It might be helpful to start training with a bell on the door. We keep Libby on a schedule and each time we take her out the same door. To the same space in the yard helps too! Before we take her outside, we say "let's go outside!" and ring the bell. She is almost 6 months and rings the bell for us now!

We still have the occasional accident, but she has been doing great!

You did the right thing by keeping an eye open and trying! Once you learn her habits it will get much easier.

We have been keeping a log of all her eating and outside trips to help us get on a regular schedule. Also, we just purchased the bell today! :) We'll definitely try that. Also, we take her to the same spot to pee, but when it comes to pooping she doesn't go there. She just wants to find another spot. We could stand there for 20 minutes and she wouldn't go. We might need to be a little more firm on that point, though, and just stick to the one area no matter what.

It may be helpful to set up a 24 inch high x-pen outside where you want her to go, then just put her in it. She can walk around to find her own spot, but it will be within the area you want. That's what we did.

That's a great suggestion Cathy. I didn't have potty issues with either of mine so didn't need to do anything other than regular training. We did teach "to potty" and "go poops" and they both know what this means and will go on command. Comes in handy when we travel.

Back