• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

dried food

lily

lily is eating the bakers dried which the breeder had her on aswell as the pedigree but we stopped the pedigree & stuck with the dried.....

this is gonna make me sound dumb but will i always have to moisted this food?? i couldnt imagine her eating it dry from the packet. The bag instructions does say eventually reducing the mositure but to howmuch, dont want to choke lily.. :oops:

I never moistened my dogs' food when they were puppies. I always fed a variety, dry but alternated with homecooked stews etc. I think a lifetime of dry food is pretty dreary for a dog. Raher than wetting the dry why not substitute something for interesting and healthy for part of the dry? There are lots of suggestions in different feeding threads and in the Library part of the board. Cooked meat, a bit of cottage cheese or yogurt, fruit or veg, sardines, etc.

We used a dehydrated food, NRG, for Mary Alice for a few weeks.
That always has to be moistened.

We've now switched to Innova Evo.

My vet says that if you only give kibble, the dogs are not bored.

I prefer to add a bit of whatever we're eating, most of the time.

Charley ate everything....Mary Alice didn't seem to mind eating turkey! :lol: :lol:

oh yeah i do add sardines, chicken etc or what we eat sometimes but since i've started this lily is expecting to have whatever we eat & somehow i dont think chips or curry would go down well... infact shes been of her food the last 2 days, just picked & its not like her... as shes lily is 15 weeks linda..

When I first brought Darby home the co-owner of his mom was wetting his kibble. It was not necessary, I stopped as he did not like it anyway and I also changed brands over the course of a week.

Dudley used to be the worst eater in the world.

He now gobbles up his food within minutes. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I always add something to his food, even if they can't have what we are having I will open a can of tuna. I also add prozymes and Solid Gold Seameal, but I do remember the day when I put this on his food he refused to eat. It was very frustrating and I worried myself sick, but no more.

I usually cook stewing beef and cut it up into little tiny pieces, you don't have to add a huge amount. I do the same with chicken and Veggies.

Freeze them and take enough out to last a few days.

I often just add a wee bit of cheese and that is enough, but I remember the day that when I just added a bit of cheese and Dudley would look at me like what is this. Those days are gone, if she doesn't eat lift her food after 20 minutes and be strong don't give in.

Dudley would play games with me forever and he maniuplated me so much, not anymore. He only get 1/3 cup of EVO a day right now with Veggies and a few treats, he needs to loose some weight just like his mommy.

When we went to see Kosmo I brought along the boys stewing beef, Kosmo also gobbled up all his grub too.

King likes a little canned food mixed in with his kibble...I add just enough to coat the kibble to give it a little something extra... NOw that I found the perfect food for King, Evo with canned chicken, he gobbles down his food every night.

But I've heard of people soaking the kibble in warm water...then I ask WHY!!! what's the point of it the kibble then serves no purpose as far as strenghting the teeth!

She has always gobbled her food up just the last 2 days shes picked. I was just frightned she choked on her food!!! well i'll try it tonight dry & add a little extra & see how she manages...

thanks for the advice guys..

i think the reason some people add a little warm water to the kibble is make it smell more attractive :flwr:

not sure about the windypoops but lily is enjoying her meals again after the 2 days & without mositen it..... still feel as if she'll choke but i'll watch her carefully for a while

She will be fine, just keep your eye on her like you said.

I bet she is enjoying her grub again.

Way to go Lily. :D :D :D :D

Back