• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leash in Mouth

Maggie's Mom

Maggie loves to grab the leash in her mouth when we go for a walk. She then shakes her head like a crazy woman. :dogwlk: I think she thinks she is walking herself. Any suggestions?

A lot of puppies do this and eventually grow out of it. However: are you using a harness? This moves the leash to where most dogs cannot easily reach it, in the middle of their backs. For a variety of reasons I recommend walking cavaliers in a harness: safety (you can pick them up quickly and more easily than reeling in a dog on a collar); tracheal damage (one study showed over 60% of dogs have neck, shoulder and back injury due to pulling on collars); possible exacerbation of syringomyelia (some neurologists feel pulling on a collar in the neck area. where most syrinxes start, could contribute to syrinx formation where there isn't one or worsen one that already exists).

I think I may have to try the harness. Maggie is always getting caught in her leash and has that is actually the cause of a leg injury we are dealing with now.

we had this problem with our old family cavalier when he was a puppy. he used to leap around thinking going for a walk was a game. Is she just carrying the lead or is she leaping about with it?

The man from the pet shop thought that the puppy was trying to display dominance. When he started leaping around, we made him 'sit' and told him off with a firm 'no'. He also sold us a 'bitter spray' to spray on the lead so he wouldnt bite it. It worked!

However, the dog carried on doing it to my dad until the day the day the dog died as obviously thought my dad was bottom of the pack and was trying it on!!! My dad didnt discipline him icon_whistling

Both of mine did this as puppies. Jake will still grab the leash if I stop and talk for too long. It's his not so gentle way of telling me I'm supposed to walking him not stopping and gabbing with the neighbors. :D

Karlin said:
For a variety of reasons I recommend walking cavaliers in a harness: safety (you can pick them up quickly and more easily than reeling in a dog on a collar); tracheal damage (one study showed over 60% of dogs have neck, shoulder and back injury due to pulling on collars); possible exacerbation of syringomyelia (some neurologists feel pulling on a collar in the neck area. where most syrinxes start, could contribute to syrinx formation where there isn't one or worsen one that already exists).

My vet asked me to use a harness for Ulysse because in September, he had pains in his neck. He suffered a lot. He couldn't move his head without crying. I stopped using a collar. Now, he feels better. Harnesses are better for their neck and their back. you are right !

I am looking into Puppia Harness, anyone know the size for an 18 pound Cavalier?? Internet site has no returns and warned to be sure of choice. I was planning to order Medium Nylon Harness.

maggies mom

Alfie allways deos the same even with his harness on hes just happy to go for his walks after about 10 mins. he stops and starts to relax.It is a little annoying on the sidewalks.

Back