• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Shameful secret

Pavane

Okay, I admit to doing it too. This weekend we had high wet grass and I couldn't tell what he was doing for sure....so I touched the tip of his penis--and if it was dry we needed more time. Hey, it works...

My husband thinks you can tell if he really has to go by the amount of swelling. I guess guys know these things. But I feel what he means. Not sure it is true.

Luckily it doesn't rain here that much--and I am not in the UK! He really hates wet feet. We have a dry spot where we can walk him UNDER our home which is on big posts--unless it is flooding, which is why we have the posts.

Let's just say if there is more global warming, we'll be the arc. Oh, that means I'd better get a female Cav.

hehe I've alwasy given Kosmo a "special" haircut and made sure to avoid cutting it too short otherwise there will be no "downspout" but not keep it long enough because when he goes and lays on me.. well.. :grnyuk:

I put Kosmo in muttlukks when it's raining outside. I also put his coat on him for the water that the muttluks bring up to his undercarriage. It keeps him dry and my house clean.. they are great !

End of my marriage?

I swore we would never do doggie clothes--but we already had a Halloween costume...and he does have such delicate feet.

Hmmm...Floridians don't even know what muttluks are! Ah...where do you get them?

arasara said:
hehe I've alwasy given Kosmo a "special" haircut and made sure to avoid cutting it too short otherwise there will be no "downspout" but not keep it long enough because when he goes and lays on me.. well.. :grnyuk:

I put Kosmo in muttlukks when it's raining outside. I also put his coat on him for the water that the muttluks bring up to his undercarriage. It keeps him dry and my house clean.. they are great !

Thank goodness someone else has done this! I really want to do this for Wesley. How long is the hair that you keep on it from the tip? The wet hair after pee grosses me out so much! :)

I've only had Ollie for 2 days and the wet hair is grossing me out too! :yuk: I also quickly touch that area to see if it's wet or not icon_whistling

i never notice wet hair on zack after...
but after his hair cut last summer, i can say the more hair down there the better. After the hair cut and peepee trim, he peed all over his front feet and legs every time. That was gross, and a big hassle cleaning up all the time. That hair really saves the day by redirecting the stream. what nature intended it seems. Next year, his haircut is NOT going to include the penis hair, no way jose.

I never trim the hair on my boy's wick.

Although when Darby was neutered the Vet trimmed it.

I always understood that you were never to trim it as this helps with the direction of the aim.

DON'T TRIM!!! This causes the males to spray more onto the feathering on their bellies and front legs. You are probably not too likely to notice if the walk is long enough and it dries but believe me you will prefer a damp bit of penis hair (dry it with a kleenex if it really bothers you!) to urine smell and yellow staining on legs and chest and belly due to messy peeing. There IS a reason for the hair to be on the end of a dog's penis! Lots and lots of people report these problems when their males are neutered and the vets trim the hair off the penis -- it takes ages to grow back and again channel the pee rather than allow it to spray. :shock:

PS in my (limited) experience females get far more wee on themselves but it is less noticeable -- it is more on the hair closer to the vulva and also gets into their 'trousers' as the feathering typically touches the ground and drags into the puddle of urine as they squat. If anything the females should need more 'cleaning up' -- the boys are easy (though I must say I have never felt the need to wipe off any of the boys after they go... :lol:).

In short: Folks, you own DOGS -- they PEE. They aren't stuffed animals! They are canines that will also happily eat old dead things found on walks, living things in your garden like mice, slugs and snails, poop (their own and other animals') ... have diarrhea on their hind legs sometimes that needs cleaning and vomit on your bed sometimes... some (like mine!) will happily roll in a pool of other people's vomit given the chance. :yuk:... they are not small children with lots of hair whose behaviour you can control... you need to get used to that concept or you will be in for continual disappointment! :lol: 8)

I've got to say, I've never had a problem with his pee going everywhere but maybe that's becaues I've never cut it completely off. I've always left it about 1 to 1 1/2 inches and he mostly squats. Maybe I have a special case on my hands.. .. icon_whistling But we've never had a problem. ;)

You can use the toilet paper to see if he's been for a wee or to clean him up, you don't have to use your hand!!! :yuk:

Karlin said:
In short: Folks, you own DOGS -- they PEE. ... have diarrhea on their hind legs sometimes that needs cleaning and vomit on your bed sometimes... some (like mine!) will happily roll in a pool of other people's vomit given the chance. :yuk:...

Karlin you forgot the "rolling in fox, horse, dog, sheep ANYTHING poo" as well!

lol Karlin, how true was all of your post!

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Yeah, uum, I tend to agree with the using bare fingers as yucky!! I have even seen doggie wipes at the pet store that are designed for cleaning up potty on the fur. Please... don't use your fingers! I just keep thinking Eww Bacteria!

Since dh and I are eagerly anticipating Cicero's arrival, we have seen this thread and like one or two previously about this subject. We seem to agree with the "don't mess with what nature gave ya" theory.

We actually are going to make sure when Cicero is neutered that they don't trim the winkie hair (if possible). I agree with the natural "spout" idea. This way you don't have pee all over!!

I (having been accused by my hubby) see everything from a science standpoint. Have you ever done a science experiment and had to pour chemicals from a large beaker (wide) to a small (narrow) beaker... sometimes you use a guide stick which is just basically a straw-like stick that you pour the liquid down... dumb me I know... but this is the reason behind the not trimming... there will be something to guide the piddle down to the ground... not all over our Cicero's legs and belly...

Okay I know that was a dumb analogy but it is what popped into my head so I thought I would share... :sl*p: icon_whistling :?

Karlin said:
...... some (like mine!) will happily roll in a pool of other people's vomit given the chance. :yuk:......

lovely. where were you lucky enough to come across people vomit on a walk? We came across it once on the sidewalk--no one cleaned it up, it stayed for days. zack showed an interest but i was able to quickly move along before something happened. dogs have so many qualities which make them a favorite of people. This penchant for rollingi in stuff we normally put right in the garbage can is not one of them. :?

gotta love 'em though. :)

Chuckling about Muttluks

arasara said:

I broached the subject of muttluks (after checking out the cuties online) last night and my husband almost flipped. Then, this morning, he heard a story on NPR on the radio this morning about a vet saying no dog ever needed shoes. They also discuss coats and sweaters. You can read some of the story here and hear the whole story online. It takes place in Oregon.

www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6713917

Pavane,

I live in the kind of place that's mentioned in that article.. there is always salt and de-icing chemicals on the road and I will not make Kosmo suffer through having cracked paws and pain because his owner was negligent and didn't take proper care of him when she could have.

I got the shoes originally for the salt and ice that's all over the road. Also when it's icy outside it's good for him to have traction. I discovered that they worked for rain too and I consider that an added bonus.

As for coats - I definately think they are warranted in certian situations. If anybody wishes to dispute that, I challenge them to take their dog to a place like Niagra Falls (like I did) where there is rain everywhere and the windchill is -3 degrees. kosmo was shaking like a leaf about 2 minutes after getting out of the car.. (literally.) He also shakes near the end of walks if he doesn't have his coat on because he's not "used to the outdoors." The only time he's out is for potty time and walks.

The vet I am currently seeing actually advised me to get both of these items for the winters here.

Lol, true true... I put clothes on my doggies because it is cute. But it is also anywhere from below zero and up here in Ohio and if my hubb gets residency in Denver, I will definately need the cold weather gear... poor doggie!

I have never, and probably won't ever put shoes on my dog just because of a video I saw of owners tourturing thier chihuahua with some LilyBoots... although they are adorable (the shoes)! I tend to be envious of those who can get thier doggies to wear them without walking funny. My dh would love to take our dog out and play in the fields around our in-law house, but I say no because there could be dangerous stuff (not to mention the cow and horse pies!) that could get Cicero's little paws!

All in all ---

<---- will keep on clothing her dog, because in the cold climate he needs it, and because I like it and it doesn't hurt the dog. icon_whistling

Palm Tree Paws

My husband might feel differently if we lived in Dublin, OH (where we have a major client--guess who?).

But we live in FLORIDA!

And puppy gets cold when it rains.

Today it is almost 80, and he still doesn't like the damp.

He DOES love a shower. Go figure. (and the hot tub)

Yeah, i would worry about overheating if I lived in Florida (so jealous) as I have read several times that Cavaliers can overheat! I would be cautious of the hottub!! I read an article once about why it is not a good idea to put a dog in one. They say that the average adult human is only supposed to be in there for about 15-30 minutes, and they said something about the dog overheating... it was more along the lines of "you wouldn't put your newborn infant in, then it isn't safe for your dog either." But to each thier own...

I would have to say Wendy's lol... are you familiar with the Wendy's pagent?? It is where they find a girl to be thier "spokesgirl." I was in the pagent 5 years in a row! It was tons of fun!

Do you ever get up to Ohio? I am so ready to leave this place! Hubby graduates in a little over a year and then onto residency!

MathisGreen said:
Yeah, i would worry about overheating if I lived in Florida (so jealous) as I have read several times that Cavaliers can overheat! I would be cautious of the hottub!! I read an article once about why it is not a good idea to put a dog in one. They say that the average adult human is only supposed to be in there for about 15-30 minutes, and they said something about the dog overheating... it was more along the lines of "you wouldn't put your newborn infant in, then it isn't safe for your dog either." But to each thier own...

I would have to say Wendy's lol... are you familiar with the Wendy's pagent?? It is where they find a girl to be thier "spokesgirl." I was in the pagent 5 years in a row! It was tons of fun!

Do you ever get up to Ohio? I am so ready to leave this place! Hubby graduates in a little over a year and then onto residency!

I do get to Ohio now and then, and to Dublin...and yes, it is Wendy's, although it is for their better half--their adoption foundation.

I also went to college in Ohio--a very liberal crazy place when I went there, if you want to guess.

And my cats (Norwegian forest) come from an Ohio cattery.

You sound likeyou have other venues as well. (I was born in Pittsburgh.)

And don't worry. Barkleigh has spent a sum total of 15 SECONDS in the hot tub, but he likes it.

Back