• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do they all have crazy whiskers?

We had a lady come to our house yesterday to look at our Chesapeake puppies, she noticed Tripp (our Cavalier) doing his flycatching, snapping at the air, she told us that he's seeing his whiskers above his eyes and snapping at them, she told us to trim them so they're not in his eyes and he'll stop, what do you think? is it worth trying?

I trimmed Lily's, but they are growing back now. They were really in her eyes before the trim.

My daughter and I were noticing Dottie's curly whiskers! We think they are adorable! I will have to try and get a closeup shot of them ... of course getting that wiggle worm to sit still for a closeup won't be easy! :roll:

Seanboy: I'm sorry no one has answered your question. I am new to this board and also to Cavaliers! I don't really know much about SM, but I *think* that the flycatching syndrome *might* be one of the symptoms??? Please don't take just my word for it, but look on the health boards for info on SM! Hopefully you are right, and your pup is just seeing his whiskers! ;)

EDIT: I wanted to make sure what I saw before I allowed my above comment to remain. Here is a quote I took from one of the SM resources here on this site.

Fly-catching, head shaking, lip-licking
Fly catching is a neurological condition in which the dog snaps at the air, as if snapping at flies, and has been reported in many syringomyelia dogs though it occurs as a separate condition on its own, as well. Dogs often will shake their heads and ears, yawn excessively (probably an attempt to clear pressure they feel in their heads), or lick at their lips excessively.

If your pup continues to do this, you probably should get a vet to check him / her! I hope it's nothing but WHISKERS!

Back