• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy won't do his toilet business on his walk !!

mishmosh

My 16 week old puppy won't do his toilet business on his walk. He will only do it in the back garden!! He'll do nothing during his walk around the block or down the park.

If we forget to let him out into the back garden upon returning, he may pee on the newspaper.

Does anybody elses dog do this? Our dog who died did the opposite!!

He's adorable!!

Could it be that the breeder had the pups trained to use the garden??

I am going back a few years but one of my dogs did that he love his walks but would not go till we got to his own back yard----Aileen

You could try this: Be ready with lead and your coat etc and when your Duncan wakes up, go out quickly, he will be busting to go and give a great treat if he goes on your walk like a little bit of chicken.

Have you developed a command for wee wee? Say it every time he goes in the garden and treat him. When you are on your walk, use your command. He might not know he is allowd to go in the street. We say, "Dylan wee wees", works every time.

*Pauline* said:
You could try this: Be ready with lead and your coat etc and when your Duncan wakes up, go out quickly, he will be busting to go and give a great treat if he goes on your walk like a little bit of chicken.

Have you developed a command for wee wee? Say it every time he goes in the garden and treat him. When you are on your walk, use your command. He might not know he is allowd to go in the street. We say, "Dylan wee wees", works every time.

Yes, I've tried the 'pee pee in the garden' command on walks, but he just ignores me! He's in his own little world, sniffing away and pulling on the lead!

Cody refuses to go potty during a walk too!! The poor thing holds it until we get home. I have to walk him through the back yard so he can potty in his spot before we come in the house or else he will have an accident on the way there :roll: Poor little guy. At least I know that he won't have an accident in a store because he refuses to go when on a leash!!!

My boy used to do the same, after 4 weeks of training him to go in the garden, before his jags.
He's fine now, it just took time. It took him a really long time to poo on his walks, he picked up peeing no bother. It will happen. Although it seems it never will, poor lamb we used to go the whole walk telling him to "go pee"
He still uses the garden first thing in the moring and last thing at night :D

Maddy won't go on her walks either. We took her out to the outlet mall for four hours and she would not pee. As soon as we got home she did.

I think my Maggie is just to excited to go while on a walk. There is too much going on and too many people to see. She is distracted by every person, car, sound of any kind.. :jump: Your puppy may just need some quiet to concentrate on the task at hand.

I've only tried walking Wesley on the sidewalk about 3 times between 8-11 weeks. He wasn't interested in doing his business on the walk either. He would wait until we got back to the house and I took him out back. I guess he likes his toilet best. Then again, I'm not pushing him to really explore on the walks either, just because doggy illnesses and stuff. We have 6 other dogs on my side of the street between 8 houses. Just 2 of them are ever walked out front that I've seen. Then just random other people on the neighborhood that pass by, but I don't know their dogs.

The first wee wee of the day is the most important. Do that Pauline says, take him out and wait until he do it! (If you are crate training him is easier. You can crate him until he does it).
Then you can give him a special treat if he goes potty outside, we gave Lia Chicken or cheese (never raw).

Back