• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tooth extraction needed?

Lisa_T

I've been keeping a close eye on Amber's new teeth to check that no problems developed. Most of them are fine, but one tooth next to the biggest canine on the top jaw is literally set around 60-70 degrees from the jaw instead of growing down. It catches her gum and I can see it causing problems if she got knocked there while playing. Should I ask the vet about having it removed when she goes in for neutering? Or leave it? I'm worried about it being spot that could encourage gum disease too.

Oh, and with a tooth being removed from a young dog, will the others shuffle along like they're supposed to in humans, or will it leave a permanent gap? Not that I mind either way, just wondering. Has anyone ever heard of an adult tooth like this righting itself? It's very firmly anchored and the same size as the other new teeth, so I don't think it's simply a loose baby tooth..

Is there any way you can get her something she likes to chew on? Have your tried wiggling it loose? My lil Elle had a baby tooth until she was 10 months old. It wasn't in the way, so I got her some new Merrick chews (flossies)and it was gone in 10 days. Sandy

Vets generally will pull any leftover baby teeth when a dog goes for a neuter/spay. It does need to come out. As Sandy says just getting her something to chew on will probably get it out on its own though.

That's it, though, I'm not totally convinced it is a baby tooth! I've been checking her teeth regularly and I'm sure I'd have noticed something so wonky before now. And I'm tempted to think that if it *is* an adult tooth, it may actually be all the chews that caused it- it's on the side she has always chewed with when settling for a long session. I'll check again now, maybe I'm imagining it and it is a baby tooth after all..

wow- 60-70 degrees off is pretty extreme. How does it compare with the other side of the mouth?

A chew wouldn't affect a tooth to that degree -- mine chewed all sorts of hard things including bones and rawhides and never moved a tooth to that degree. It is HARD to move a tooth -- look at how long you need to wear braces or retainers to move teeth only tiny fractions of a distance over usually, a couple of years! If it is an adult tooth I'd be wondering if the baby tooth is still there and has forced it out at an angle. Are you sure there aren't two teeth there, one the baby tooth and one the adult tooth? It sounds more like a loose baby tooth.

I checked again- it is definitely the same size as the other new adult teeth, and there's a slight gap at both sides. Like I said it's right next to the big canine tooth and is in a totally bizarre angle. It's not quite a right angle to the jaw, but it's not far off either. It doesn't feel at all loose, but maybe it's a baby tooth that I never noticed before... I hope that's it, because it is so strange and I really do think it could be a hazard for her long term.

Then again, I thought that I'd have to ask for one of the teeth in the bottom jaw to be extracted- that was very obviously a baby tooth since the tooth that should have replaced it grew beside it instead of instead of it. Which is a good thing, as the tooth in question was badly placed! Anyway, i see it's finally fallen out, so hopefully the wonky one will too.

Bella is going in to get spayed next week, and the vet wants me to bring her in beforehand to assess what teeth need to be extracted. He mentioned it to my husband when he took her for her last shots, and said that Cavaliers tend to have too many teeth for their mouths, so if any need to come out, they'd do it while she was being spayed. I'll find out next week which ones and how many will be coming out. She's also having one dewclaw removed that was missed by the breeder.

Not sure if that helps...

I think you better ask the vet to be sure! Sam also has a little baby tooth left, but it's not a problem for now, foodresidu's tend to stay there but I remove that daily, the vet told me it could go away on its own but if not when I go for his next shots, he'll have to pull it out.

When all other teeth had grown in, Joly still had a gap on the bottom jaw, where the middle two teeth should be. A vet said they could be late, but more likely were lost while playing tug, as those particular teeth have poor roots. However. many months later, one tooth grew in, but very slowly. The other gap remained and was never filled by a new tooth or teeth moving over.

On the subject of teeth, Oakley will have the tooth fairy come tonight - I captured a baby tooth just before it went into Mr Iron Guts's tummy last night. I don't have any of Merlin's he swallowed them all :D

You Wouldn't Believe

I had my poor darling spayed yesturday and while she was under the vet pulled a canine baby tooth out (the adult one had grown beside it and it wasn't even wiggly). As a collector of puppy teeth (I have 8) I was absolutely shocked- the tooth they pulled was three times the length of the other canines that had fallen out naturally. Trust the vet- I wanted to just wait for it to fall out one day.

In other news I feel horrible that my little girl is in pain. The spay insition looks so scary on her little belly. She is feeling better than yesturday though.

Back