• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Freeze Dried Treats

Moviedust

My brother's dog, Ace, gave Willow and Cedar some freeze dried treats for Christmas. They got freeze-dried Chicken and Salmon chunks! So far, we've tried the Salmon. The girls seem to enjoy them. They only some-what annoying thing is they have to be refridgerated once opened, but that's not a huge deal.

Anyway, here's a link to where Ace bought the treats:

http://www.affordablesupplements.com/salmon_treats.asp

Ace was generous this year; he got my mom's 11 year old dog, Faith, some glucosamine and condroitin from the same website.

I'll make sure Cedar and Willow send thank you cards. ;)

wow those are nice.. Salmon is so good for them too!!

I have only tried freeze dried liver with kosmo but I don't think that has to be refrigerated?? It doesn't say it does anyways.

I might just try the salmon ;)

I also use the freeze dried liver training treats with Hogan~
Ive never put them in the fridge, as they are sold on the shelf....
and its the only treat I can find without other additives...any suggestions on 100% treats is appreciated, as Hogan has some kind of Wheat issues and anything like that causes his tummy to trouble.

Well, yours are different than mine, and Id totally follow the directions on the can~ your new avaitor is darling by the way....Ive got to get one of Maxwell and Hogan like that.... :D

I get wild salmon freeze dried treats, it's this kind
click
Zack loves them, they smell like salmon. I haven't refrigerated them but maybe it would be a good idea, they're a little oily.
They're imported from Denmark i think.

Maxwell&me said:
..any suggestions on 100% treats is appreciated, as Hogan has some kind of Wheat issues and anything like that causes his tummy to trouble.

Zack loves Merrick Lamb Filet squares. they look kind of like flattened compressed waffles, they're all lamb, 100%. I like them because they break into little pieces if i want to use them for training, or i can give a full sized piece for him to be able to really get into, for a special treat sometimes. I've seen lamb lung sold by other companies too. My pet supply store has them by Merrick.

http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/treats_detail.php?c=25&s=60014

i also noticed there are pure lamb training treats too
http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/melatrtr4oz.html

My boys go BONKERS for the freeze dried chicken. I've never put it in the fridge either and it is the same brand. Maybe I just didn't read carefully enough. In reality, it never lasts long enough for it to go bad!! :lol: There is only one store in town that sells it and they are notorious for ridiculous markups in price. They sell that wee little container for over $13!! :yikes

Have any of you ever tried using a food dehydrator (sp?)
to make your own treats that are 100% ? Im just wondering...as I was thinking of doing that myself cause those treats are really expensive.

We got some free treats from a place out here in Columbus that were freeze dried. They never said anything about refridgeration once open, but after like two weeks, they started to make our treat tin smell funny, so I threw them out. Wonder if it should have been refriderated!?

As far as dehyrators... I love them!! They so rock! ♥ Over Christmas we saw a commercial grade dehydrator at Cabela's (dh fave store) and it was only like $250. DH wanted it so bad, but I (being practical and not having space) said no. We dont even have space for a small counter dehydrator!! LOL! I am always begging my mother-in-law to ship me some of her stuff.

Have you ever tried carrot chips? They are neat-o doggie treats as well as yummy people treats!

a lady from CKCS rescue said that her dehydrater was the best purchase she ever made...she also has ten dogs so that may be a good reason :? She freeze dries yams and they are the exact same thing as Sam's Yams (which can get pretty expensive if you buy them regularly),

A food dehydrator is a great idea. I also get Sam's Yams. I can see what you mean about saving money real quick. Now I have to think realistically whether I will devote the time to do my own dehydrating.

Maxwell&me said:
Have any of you ever tried using a food dehydrator (sp?)
to make your own treats that are 100% ? Im just wondering...as I was thinking of doing that myself cause those treats are really expensive.

I got a food dehydrator for Christmas with the intention of making my own version of "Sams Yams" (dehydrated yams). My dogs love them, but they're about $13 a bag!! I haven't tried it yet, but will this weekend. I was just wondering this morning if I could dehydrate chicken and salmon, etc. I haven't actually opened the box and read the instructions yet.

I'll experiment and report back... :)

Charleen said:
A food dehydrator is a great idea. I also get Sam's Yams. I can see what you mean about saving money real quick. Now I have to think realistically whether I will devote the time to do my own dehydrating.

It is pretty simple... just cut and set the dehydrator... or at least that is what my m-i-l has lead me to believe

Gosh, That would be really great if those of you that have them let us know if they work.....AND PASS THE PUP TEST...

Id love to save a few bucks on treats, and there is so much leftovers from our own dinner plates that I thought this might be a good way to "be a bit more frugal" so I can save for the fun extras.....like my next puppy

:roll:

Just what my DH wants to hear.... :lol:

Back