• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Update on George!

george108

Just to give you a quick update on George. I discussed my concerns with the vet about putting him on tablets and we decided to try him on the tablets for his breathing. He was on them for a week over Christmas and the choking/gagging/snorting!! stopped completely. Well it happened once but he was extremely excited at the time. He finished his pills and within a few days it was all starting again. He went back for a check up a few days ago and the vet said he would just like to x-ray him to check for trachea problems and also to check his heart (although he thinks his heart is fine). I completely understand what most cav owners are saying when they talk about their cavs doing it and it's harmless but it made me really think twice when the medication stopped it. He's going in for his x-ray next Thursday so I'll be very happy if his trachea is ok. I was very worried as he was pulling like crazy on his lead. Other than that George is in great form and had a very Happy Christmas!! It warmed my heart to have him with us instead of a in cage waiting for a new home. Wish I could take them all!!

oh so pleased george had a nice xmas & hope his x-ray is ok. wonder what the next move will be if it isnt his trachea then??

hope its all sorted soon... :flwr: take care george

Yes that's what I keep asking myself! I'll have to discuss it further when it's all done. I don't want to put him on medication for what some people have told me is a "cavalier trait". What really puzzles me is, if it is that then why did the medication work so well? Obviously there is some sort of breathing problem there. Maybe I'm being over cautious??

Sounds to me like there is something more than just a "cavalier snort". Keep us posted on what your vet says.

Yes it does sound like he may have a problem with the soft palate or trachea. Though usually the 'snort' is harnless it isn't always in all dogs. Also there can be other reasons if it is persistent and a problem -- that is different from it happening occasionally and would then no longer be considered normal. My dogs only do the 'snort' about once every few weeks so if this is chronic, you should definitely be checking it out.

Because the breed is 'artificially' designed to have such a short snout -- this is called being brachycephalic -- there's always the risk of some problems that would not arise of the snout were a normal lnegth for a dog of this size.

See: http://cavalierhealth.org/brachycephalic.htm and make sure your vet is aware of this.

PS Also do you have him on a collar or harness when walked? He DEFINITELY needs to be on a harness. A collar can cause tracheal collapse if the dog is pulling and the dog is prone to the problem.

Thanks guys. Have talked it through with the vet and he seems to be very aware of possible causes ie trachea or soft palate. Karlin I stopped walking him with the collar when this started and I ordered him a Puppia (which was like a scuba suit on him! He wasn't impressed as it nearly took his ears off while removing it so it's being replaced with a larger one!) he also has a harness until his snazzy new Puppia arrives and he's not pulling as much on it.

Back