• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Foster/transport help badly needed: IL, MO and KS

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone in these states -- Illinois, Missouri, Kansas -- there's an urgent need for fosters in particular.

You MUST live within three hours of rescue organisers. They also need financial help, as always, if you live fiurther away and wish to do something for some cavaliers. Please don't email them to offer help from a longer distance away as it is a national policy for the club to foster only within this manageable radius and it takes valuable time for (always overworked!) rescue folks to have to reply only to say no. But maybe you know someone in these states who might be willing and able to foster or wishes to rehome a dog?

This is extremely urgent.

:cry*ing: :cry*ing: :cry*ing: Right country...wrong region :( Once again my desire to foster is thwarted by location. My heart goes out to these little guys and I really hope they get enough fosters and forever homes.

A neighbouring state for someone close to the border might work too. But FLorida is too far!

I know, it is odd how dogs get concentrated in certain areas. There are almost none in Calif and Lucky Star has a waiting list there of about 100 people, last I heard. I know some people involved with the bay area clubs who have never even been called upon to transport or foster over several years of volunteering.

Oh!! Don't tell me that! I just have my hold body crossed into a pretzel because I want to help so badly!! :xfngr: I guess I should be glad that there aren't any in need in my area, but there are so many out there that do need help that I just can't reach!! :bang:

I live close to Missouri - I directly emailed the contact rescue chair in that state as I have worked with her previously on my last rescue that came into our home.

Thanx Karlin for putting this one out. There definitely seems to be an overload in the midwest right now....

Sheri

I too am too far to assist being in NJ but I plan on making some monetary donations.

It is a bit odd it is so concentrated though isnt the midwest a big area for puppy mills?

I think the overload of Cavs in rescue in the Midwest is being caused by several factors. 1) With the popularity of the Cavalier on the rise in the US, more millers are breeding them. 2)The majority of the US mills are in the Midwest 3) Puppy millers often close their operations down or at least reduce the number of dogs they keep during the winter so as not to have to deal with heating their "kennels," 4) Very few auctions/sales are held during the winter so they don't have anywhere to sell what dogs they do have. Additionally, I have heard that 3 or 4 operators have decided to retire so all those dogs are out there somewhere. Hopefully, they won't come out of retirement and start over in Florida or Arizona!

JaneB

Yes, Missouri is supposedly the number one puppy mill state. I live in Arkansas and we're not far behind. I offered to help, but since I don't live in their region, I was given the contact info for the Southern region. I'm already on their lists (southern), and have never been contacted, so I guess there's not a great need, thankfully. It's a shame, however, that I'm so close to Missouri (boarder state) and they can't accept my help but are overloaded. Oh well. All I can do is try, right?

In an urgent situation, if people are willing to transport, I don't know why they won't adjust that time/distance element... especially if there are rescue structures in those neighbouring states who might be able to help home some of these dogs?

For example the breed clubs in the UK have been helpful to me in homing a couple of special-case cavaliers a year ago and that's a lot greater distance than a bordering state! :) They have huge waiting lists, including for special needs and oldie cavaliers. So a couple of more people in the UK were happy to have found the dogs they had been waiting for.

Maybe with the overload in certain areas, it will be time within the club rescue organisations to raise the issue. Of course, then the problem becomes drivers and the willingness of the other regional rescue helping to home, but I already will work with rescues that are 5-6 hours from me, at the other end of the country, and we have good transport/foster/homecheck arrangements between us (and goodness, it is only me working directly with another sole rescue, not a well-networked organisation with numerous volunteers, like the club rescues in the US or UK).

People are right; the number of rescues is only going to increase and if winter is known to be a problem period -- maybe that's a time to have a wider network of fosters? Also given waiting lists on the coasts, maybe it would be time to have rescues work to match dogs to homes across longer distances?

It is an issue in many places though. In the UK, some regions of the UK have almost no smallies in rescues while others are swamped -- hence it can be really hard to find a small dog if you live in one area, while rescues struggle with the onslaught in other places.

I think the Amish Puppy Mills here in Ohio (midwest) are a large problem. :? :(

I wish I could help with this one, but alas... I am going nutty as it is waiting for Cicero!

Back