• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Walking to heel...your tips please.

*Pauline*

I'm trying the old stop start method but it's annoying me! He's a quick learner but I would appreciate your tips on good methods to teach Dylan to walk on a slack lead and to heel. Thank you :flwr:

Get a kid to do it! My six year old niece Elizabeth and I were watching some dog training tips on tv. Tucker is not a very good walker. Next time we went out to walk him, she asked for the lead and she starts teaching him to heel. She'd take one step, stop, and on and on it went. I have no patience for it I'm afraid. Elizabeth has lots of it. I did better when he was younger putting the lead on him indoors.

Did you see the link I posted of the fabric softener ad that reminds me of your avatar? It's over in General, under my avatar post to you.

Ummmm....can you send Elizabeth to my house?! Actually...my two are good now...but I definitely did not have the patience for step, stop, step, stop.

Do you know how clicker training works? I think using a clicker is the easiest way to teach 'heel'.

I've done clicker and target training before. So you click when the puppy happens to be in the right position then...Hmm...is it a bit difficult to treat whilst walking? I'll give it a go. I think it would have to be chicken for this task! I have a feeling he is getting what I mean about heel but I don't have the patience for stop start stop start. Thanks Cathy.

Oh yes Joanne, I looked at the advert, I see what you mean :lol: I'll have to email his picture to a few companies. Wouldn't it be nice if he was a model!

Yes, little bits of chicken or something soft for a treat is best for heeling. Our trainers let us drop a bit on the floor / ground right after we clicked.

He would be a lovely puppy super model!!! :)

As he's only a baby, I'd do the heelwork off lead, at home. Excited 'Puppy, puppy, puppy,'' and a treat held where your want his nose to be should work. Release the treat, as soon as he's in position, at first, then extend the amount of time required to earn the treat.. It's backbreaking , but worth it. (my trainer used to say'Serves you right for having a little dog !'- He's over 6 feet and has shelties !)

i train indoors first then progress outside on a short lead keeping the pup as close to heel as possible

Back