• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy socialization

kimberlya

Hello, all! I have another question about all things puppy. :) My fiance signed Ellie up for a "Puppy Kindergarten", but she is only 10 weeks. I was always under the impression that they could only be around fully vaccinated dogs until they got all their shots. So my question is, is it safe medically for her to be around other 10-16 week old puppies? I appreciate all responses and opinions! :) Thank you.

Both doggy day cares I have taken puppies to had a rule that the puppy must be 12 weeks old before they can attend. I remember that is the age when the vet gives them their third combination vaccine.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/pups.html
6 to 7 weeks of age: Give first combination vaccine. (Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvovirus, Parainfluenza, Coronavirus)
9 weeks of age: Give second combination vaccine.
12 weeks of age: Give the third combination injection and possibly a LYME Vaccine inoculation. Generally a LYME vaccine is then repeated two weeks later, then once a year.
16 weeks of age: Give the last combination vaccine.
12 to 16 weeks of age: Rabies vaccine is given. (Local and State laws apply regarding Rabies vaccine since this can be a human disease, too. Your veterinarian will tell you the proper time intervals for booster vaccines for Rabies.)

We kept our beloved Charley on our property until he'd had all of his shots.

We felt that it wasn't worth taking a chance of him contracting an illness.

Pups are just babies and don't fare well if they get sick. JMO. :flwr:

The place we have taken our puppies to (the ones we keep) requires that the puppy have it's rabies shot. Can't say that I would disagree with that policy. So that pretty much determines when we can bring ours in.

Back