Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arkansas Rescue Baby-Pics added on 10Jan

Mic Guest

Default Arkansas Rescue Baby-Pics added on 10Jan

Okay folks, I just got word that another pup has been rejected and turned in by the miller.

I'll post what I know now, and will add updates as soon as I get them. This pup was born on 11-12-06 and has already been separated from his/her/? mom, shipped to a puppy broker, shipped to a puppy store, rejected because of a "bad knee and hernia," shipped back to the broker, shipped back to the breeder and is now with our vet. So much for such a little one! It kills me how early they take them from their moms. Anyway, our vet will fix the hernia when she spays/neuters the pup, so that's not a concern. Additionally, she said the knee isn't that bad.
    Color? I don't have a clue.
    Sex? No idea.
    Markings, temperament, etc.? Obviously, I don't know yet. I'll meet this little on on Thursday when I help load dogs for transport, so I can take pictures and share more information then.

On a personal note, I want to get the word out ASAP because, due to an overflow of dogs in isolation, I will be fostering this little one at my house. I am not a good foster. Actually, I'm a horrible foster, hence my Abby, my failed-foster and most recent family member. My husband doesn't even know about this "house guest" yet. What he does know, however, is that I get too attached to any dog who stays with us while waiting for placement. That's why it works better if pups stay with Judy (rescue associate) while I work on placement, and only come to my house once I know that the perfect family has been found. Emotionally, it's better for me. I'm a wimp.

Be on the look out for more details....and check transportation from your area to Little Rock. Please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just to make clear to Europeans on the board who might be shocked that date is NOVEMBER 12, not DECEMBER 11. For a moment I was thinking it was 4 weeks old! '

I did not think it was legal to ship puppies to pet stores under 8 weeks of age. This one would possibly have been under 7 weeks?

PS the best way to not to be a failed foster is to realise how many good homes so badly want a cavalier and there will always be other dogs in the future for you when you want to add one. That puppies ad young cavaliers in particular are the LEAST needy -- they can always be easily homed. And that every additional one with you means less time to give to helping others and more difficulty in ever being able to take in the real emergecies -- like this one.

With the addition of Lily I cannot take in dogs even short term -- it is just too many. It is one of the main reasons I wasn't sure whether to hold on to her; one of the reasons I have is related to potential medical issues.

Better to save the permanent home for a truly needy cavalier, like an oldie or a special needs case. Those are hard to home and really need the special rescue person to offer that space, when the time is right.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto what Karlin says on fostering.

I'm just sickened this poor little pup has been through so much in it's incredibly short life. Poor baby.

We almost kept our first foster a year ago. Due to circumstances beyond my control...it didn't work out. Now, I'm grateful it didn't. I wouldn't have been able to continue fostering. My set up isn't large enough to allow multiple dogs like that. The other thing was that she was healthy, young and adorable. I wouldn't have been doing anyone a favor by keeping her because she was super easy to place.

Be strong Micky and simply tell yourself that keeping him/her is not an option. That's what we have done.

It is such a selfless act to take in a dog, foster and nurture and assess, then pass on to a good and deserving family. You will have brought so much joy into their lives....and can do it again.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a great foster, if you want to transport this little one to Florida

I think the last thing the poor little thing needs is another long car trip though. Hope everything works out and I can't wait to see pictures!
    I love my Wesley, Cody, Zoey & Stewie

Mic Guest

Sure, everything you've written makes complete sense...logically. But emotionally, I work on a completely different level. I got Abby at 10 months because no one wanted her. Emotionally, she's not stable: separation anxiety, food guarding, etc. But she's eager to please and be loved, doesn't talk back, break curfew, or get bad grades, so it was easy to fall in love and keep her. There are times I'd trade one one of my kids for a cav with out blinking an eye!

I keep all of the pups I've placed in forever homes for 3-5 days while waiting for a new mom or dad to arrive for pick up. That's pretty easy for me because I've worked hard to find the perfect home and know, before the pup even comes to my home, that he/she already has a loving family waiting for 'em. But when I foster, I tend to grow more attached.

That's why I posted this early feeler today. The sooner I get things in motion, the easier it is for me to remember that my job is to find a new home, not a new pup!

And btw, yes, I agree that these dogs have been separated and shipped WAY too early. If it's not a crime, it should be.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh...Mic should we take another trip to AR??

I would love another puppy!!

Pooooor thing...sounds like it has been through alot.

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean...logically! Tell me about it....I could very easily become the crazy lady down the street with all those dogs.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy T
    I know what you mean...logically! Tell me about it....I could very easily become the crazy lady down the street with all those dogs.
    My neighbours already think I am Everytime a Cavalier escapes for about a mile around, it gets brought to my door & people ask me if it's mine, is it a foster/rescue or will I sort it out

Just as well my guys will let any Cavalier in really, I am forever getting strays brought to my door Never had one longer than an hour though, their Mamma's always know they're missing!!!!

Mic, I can relate to you entirely. Furbabies are so much easier than two legged ones and yes, I have felt like that about every one of my fosters too. You just have to be really hard on yourself

Incidentally, when I took Charlie it was because I just couldn't see the poor little mite go through any more upheaval and stress. I honestly wonder what would have happened to him had I left him with the last people he was with. They had noticed none of his problems, yet he was in appalling condition

Mic Guest

Well, I have good new and bad news. The good new is that the pup is....drum roll....a female black and tan. She's adorable, everyone who's met her has fallen in love with her, and the vet does not feel her knee is bad, certainly not bad enough for anyone to reject her, let alone put her down.

And the bad news? I'm particularly fond of black and tans.

She's really friendly with all animals and people.

But sometimes she's kinda shy.

Post Thanks / Like

Mic,
    I am just going to have to find a way to your neck of the woods. Grrrr.
    Dorothy, thinking Om needs company, of the furry sort