• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

switched to wellness...

laurenlyn1

and now brady seems to have really nasty gas. he also has softer poos. he has been on it for about 2 (or is it three now) weeks now (just switched to all wellness a few days ago) he had been sick vet said food poisoning. he had stuff coming out of both ends. it wasn't pretty at all. he's just finishing up the meds she gave him. anyway, i just want to ask how long i should try this new food before i give up on it?

Need more facts: Were you changing his food gradually? Did the problem come on gradually or suddenly? What was he eating before Wellness? How old is he?

i switched if over like 2 weeks time, a little more of the new food everyday. in the middle of that he got sick so i got some prescription diet food for him to eat until his tummy got better. he's done with that. he was also on antibiotics. i am now done with that. i know that in people sometimes antibiotics messes up the tummy like that so maybe that's what it was. i am not sure. scooting has increased probably because his glands aren't emptying with all the loose stool. not sure what it could be, but i will give it a little more time i think. he seems to like it a lot.

before he was eating eukanuba (not sure on spelling) puppy. he is not 8 and a half months old.

It's hard to determine if his soft stools are due to having been ill or due to the new food. Since he's 8+ months old, it wouldn't hurt to continue feeding the Wellness for a few more days to see if he firms up.

You can ask your vet for Benebac. It is a plastic syringe of a beneficial bacteria paste. The dogs love it! you just 'click' a measured amount of the paste onto your finger and let your cav lick it off. It helps to use this after antibiotics.

It's good that you're aware of his anal glands. :flwr:

If his stools don't firm up, consider Innova Evo kibble. Many of us are having very good results from it.

I use Wellness and it is the best thing that has ever happend to my dogs. firm poos, less gas and healthy skin! I use the Venison and brown rice formula and they just adore it. Cody used to have ridiculous gas from chicken soup for the dog lover's soul :yuk: . Switched that!! I also put probiotics in their food and that has really helped with their digestion issues. Maybe that owuld help with Brady's wind issues ;)

I 've switched over foods from Bakers :yikes to Royal Canin :D and Merls's poo is formed but soft. Iron guts Oakley does not seem to be affected. last night I added some crushed bran flakes to their tea - hopefully this will firm things up - does anyone know howw much and for how long you should add bran for to firm poo up?

Back