Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't want to leave her there *sniff*

Post Thanks / Like

Default I don't want to leave her there *sniff*

Bella is going in tomorrow morning to be spayed. They want to keep her overnight, and we can pick her up on Thursday. Not sure why that is, I can't recall my other animals having over-nighters with spays/neuters. She's having a couple of tooth extractions.. not sure if that has anything to do with it. I've opted for the IV fluids, but I can't imagine she'll be on an IV for the whole night. She's also getting microchipped and 1 dewclaw removal that the breeder missed.. but that's all minor stuff.

I feel horrible. Her food is put away (been fasting since 8pm), her bag is packed, her carrier with her favourite toy and blankie packed.. and she even got a bath tonight. She's good to go, and she has no idea. She's going to feel soooo abandoned and scared, especially during tomorrow night when she'd otherwise be snuggled between dh and I in bed

I know I'm going to cry when I leave the vet's office tomorrow morning, and that's SO silly. I can do this! I've done this before! I've had all my pets spayed/neutered, it's not a big deal! What is this power these Cavs have over us, with their soulful eyes and deep attachment issues, lol.

I'm really not happy about having to leave her overnight. They close shop at 9pm and there's nobody in there all night anyway (I think the earliest person in is 6am). I just don't see the advantage of having her stay there. I'm going to see if they'll let me get her tomorrow night...

Ok, now that I've talked myself through this time for some sleep!

If you got this far, thanks for letting me ramble
    Bella's Mom

Post Thanks / Like

I understand. Maddy is due to be spayed March 1st and I know I will feel exactly the same way if we have to leave her overnight.
    Pam
    Pam
    Mummy to Miss Madeleine born 9/1/2006

Post Thanks / Like

I empathize with you. I am always in tears whenever I have to leave them at the vets even if it is just for grooming.
    Mary-owned by Maya, Scout, Jazz and Sassy
    Annie at the bridge 3/13
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance......

Post Thanks / Like

I think you will be far more upset than your dog. For most of the time she will be sdated and the rest will be fascinated by all the goings on. I used to worry about leaving clingy Izzy, but he has never appeared to be upset. No rush to come to me, as thee are lots of interesting things to sniff and watch.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

With todays newer and better gases-- I really don't know why they'd prefer to keep them that long. Especially overnight if NO ONE will be there.
    My girl was just c-sectioned and SPAY (in November- a big stressful surgery)-- she was home three and a half hours later. She was 90%+ up and normal by the time she was home. She went in weighing over 21 pounds and came home weighing 15-16.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, she's dropped off. The way she looked at me when they carried her off down the hall

I can't believe I'm being such a weenie about this

I told them I had some issues with her staying over night, especially when there isn't anyone there. She said they like to keep them over just to keep them from running around and give the sutures more time to heal. But, she said as long as there's no problems and she's doing well, I could certainly pick her up later tonight - it's my choice. I know what I'll be doing

She'll be fine, I'm sure. Me on the other hand....

Thanks for the support
    Bella's Mom

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really glad that you will be able to pick her up this evening! They are such quick healers and I am sure she will be totally fine. Keep us posted!
    I love my Wesley, Cody, Zoey & Stewie

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you have the option of picking her up tonight. Both of mine were done in the a.m. and picked them up late afternoon. I don't know that I would like leaving them overnight if no one is there. What's the point in that? I think she would be better off at home with you to look after her. If there was someone there overnight that would be a different story.

She'll be fine. Isn't it funny how much they pull on our hearts? Like you said....been there, done that...why's it so difficult?
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand extra careful vets wanting to monitor an anmal overnight, but see no reason to keep one without supervision.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Puppy Parenting

Would you let your mother-in-law tell you exactly how to parent your children and follow her rules to the t without thinking "Why do things this way? Is this best for my kids and me?"

Letting the vet tell you how to care for your recovering puppy is just the same to me. The vet is one good source of healthcare information but what about asking a second vet, asking people whov'e been through this before, logically reasoning pros and cons of different choices you can make, and trusting your gut.

My Isabelle was spayed a week ago and we brought her home the same evening. She felt so weak to me, she shook a little, cried the first night, and had goop around her eyes from something they did. She didn't feel well and I was so worried for her- held her on me nonstop all night. She was comforted by being with her person- I hate to ever leave her alone too long, especially when she's hurting.

Good luck in your decision how to care for your baby. Be tough- she'll be better soon.
    Carlie, David, & Isabelle (10 month old blenheim ruler of the house)