• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

"FRISKY" BEHAVIOUR AFTER NEUTERING + SPAYING??

petitchien

Hi all,

This is a quick question from an old-timer ... I'm afraid I've not been very active on this board in the past few months ... to cut a long story short, there was a bereavement in our immediate family and we are only getting through the other side of it now. So here's to 2007 being a better year.

So my question - we have had our two neutered and spayed respectively about 6 months ago. Just in the past couple of weeks we have noticed that our little man is sometimes trying to get up on our little girl....
We were also in my sisters house recently and she has 2 neutered boys and they were trying the same thing..... is this normal? Should I ring the vet where ours were done to see if everything is ok with our little girl?

Thanks for any advice on this from the members who have older dogs
Gizmo (boy) is 2 and Charlie (girl) is 1.

Sorry about your family bereavement and nice to see you here again.

Mounting and sexualbehaviour doesn;t necessarily (or even, usually) stop entirely when a dog is neutered -- most males will still be enticed by a female in heat for example. Also, humping behaviour is only sometimes a sexual behaviour, and isn;t only a male behaviour. Many spayed females are active humpers! My Lily goes for pillows on a regular basis... :roll:

It is a behaviour that needs owner intervention to train away from, in short, and what you are seeing is qute normal. Here's more info:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3437

Is it possible that she may have a yeast infection in that area? Our vet told us that an infection can attract the boys (regardless of being spayed and neutered), almost like being in heat. If they are very attracted to her, I'd have her looked at by a vet.

Thanks guys for the helpful input .... it's not excessive at all , we just thought that there wouldn't be any of it after the neutering .... good to be informed on this ....

Back