• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Another vets visit..

blue_star

Oh well back from the vets again.
I decided to take Toby to the vets today as his water in take has increased loads since Christmas, from his normal 1 bowl a day to 4 bowls :yikes which has really got me worried, this all went with long pee's due the the water in take. He has also been off his food, even if I have offered a treat. :shock:

Anyway once we got there the vet said he wanted to take some blood samples and I would be able to wait for the results that took 10 mins. The results came back and luckily he didn't have diabetes (which was the vets first thought) but his liver had a high abnormality. The vet this could be caused by a number of things e.g lesions on the liver a tumour or cushings disease. He said that the first thing he wanted was a ultrasound of Toby's tummy to check that the liver didn't have any growths etc and if that was clear they would do a test for cushings disease via two blood tests spaced an hour apart.

I've also got to take a pee sample :yuk: and make sure my baby has nothing to eat after 6pm and no water on the morning of the scan! :roll:

Anyway fingers cross for me people that Toby's scan will be all clear on Thursday. :|

Ohh please give Toby extra hugs from us. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
:xfngr: :xfngr: :paw: :paw: :paw: Everything is crossed for you and Toby for Thursday.

Having been an owner of a dog with Cushing’s/diabetes dog, I really praying it’s not Cushing’s. :(

Cushing’s can cause diabetes in dogs. I’m didn’t know my Dizzy had Cushing’s till diabetes was diagnose with her.

The fact that Toby has been off his food is a good sign its not Cushing’s as a marker for the disease is hungry like you have never seen before. Cushing’s makes a dog feel like it’s starving all the time, so the dog will do anything to get food.

Dizzy first owner had fed her on takeaways so getting her to eat a normal meal took us about two years, before she would eat a meal without playing up. I still kick myself I didn’t see her new love of food as a sign of her disease. My dog in the end would even eat birdseed and fish food if I happen to drop it, because she was so hungry.

I hope you get a more positive answer from the vets :flwr:

Keeping EVERYTHING crossed that this isn't Cushings..........it took my Honey-Bee from me last June.
Honey-Bee would ravish anything just to get food, it was painful to see her deteriorate and go downhill so fast with this disease ... all within a few/six months.

Please let us know when you receive the results. :xfngr:

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Oh {{{{{{{{Amy}}}}}}}} poor Toby and poor you :hug:. I am working 12-2.30 on Thursday but am free before and after if you want some company.

Really hope it's not Cushings, so fingers crossed. Will be thinking of you :hug:. Give him a big kiss from me xxxxx

Good luck AMy and Toby :) Fingers, paws, eyes, and toes crossed for you guys!! You'll be in our thoughts and prayers!! :flwr: :flwr:

hi everyone, sorry I havent been able to reply things have been a bit hectic.

Thank you all for your wonderful messages of support :flwr: Your all brilliant. Will keep you all updated.

Thanks for the offer Donna, my uncle (Taffy's owner) is going to take there both morning and afternoon. But will ring you when I have the results if thats ok. Needless to say his owners have yet to ring to see how he got on.

Oh well looks like all of our Cavies are in visiting the vets at the moment.

Toby is in for his scan this Thursday
Archie went and had his 'bits' done today
and finally
Tonight Taffy made a visit.

Taffy's visit is quite serious, apparently my aunt thought he had a fit as his eyes started rolling and his back legs went. He was also very floppy but did not 'pass out'. He was rushed to the vets (Thanks goodness for uncle James!) and he said he didn't think it was a fit but has given him tablets and he needs a blood test to see whats going on. I don't know any more as it all happened when I was at guides this evening.
On the good side James the vet (the same as the one who is dealing with Charlie and Maxxs_Mum (Donna)) asked about Toby and is going to review his notes over his liver and is making sure he will be involved as we had to see uncle Ralph on Friday.

Bit of an update:
Toby was at the vets all day yesterday and he has had his scan and no-where on his lower body has he got any cancer or tumours!!!!
:mexwav: :jmp2: :jmp: :jump: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :jump: :jmp: :jmp2: :mexwav:

He did have another test for Cushing disease. We are waiting for the results. If this one comes back negative, the vets wants to do another where he will be tested @ 9am 12 and 5pm. If this comes back negative then the vet thinks it could be gall stones. From his scan which we were shows there is some light bits in his gall bladder. The vet was excellent he showed us all the scans and showed us what we were looking at, all the test results and what they want the next set to look like.

The symptons of cushing disease Toby doesn't have are being ravenous (he is the opposite and not too fussed about food) and being lathargic. Toby has always been quite lazy and it has not really increased, if anything he has been a bit more play-full.

So :xfngr: that it is gall stones for me.
Thanks for all your support

So glad you had some good news.:flwr:

Blue Star said:
The symptons of cushing disease Toby doesn't have are being ravenous (he is the opposite and not too fussed about food) and being lathargic. Toby has always been quite lazy and it has not really increased, if anything he has been a bit more play-full.

Unless it’s the very early stages of Cushing’s then I think its likely to be something else, as you have said that Toby is non-plus towards food. Cushing’s is not just the hunger, although it’s a big part of the disease, there’s also the change in fur with some hair loss and the potbelly look to the stomach.

Heres hoping it something small and easily fixed (y)

So sorry to hear about all the patients :(

Glad that they didn't find any tumours with Toby, that's good news - I hope it's something easily sorted :flwr: :flwr:

Poor Taffy - there's a few possibilities for that, including an heart arrythymia, but it sounds like Uncle James is on the case and will get him sorted - keep us posted

We're sending hugs and positive thoughts for your cavvies across the sea. So glad Toby doesn't have tumors. Could Taffy have gotten into anything poisonous? :hug: :hug: :hug: :xfngr: :xfngr: :xfngr:

************Update************

Tobys second lot of test have come back and the vet says these test show NO signs of Cushing disease!!!! :w**h**: :jump:

The vet wants him to have one more blood test which they do at 9am, 12 and 5pm. If this comes back all clear then it is gall stones.

I have him booked in for Thursday but due to something happening at home I think I will have to change it for next week.

Taffy is loads better, thanks to all your thoughts for them both :thnx: :thnku: :hug: :l*v: :flwr:

He hasn't had any more fits of any kind so the vet thinks it might just be a one off thank goodness.

Will keep you all information about their progress.

Archie is feeling loads better and is due to have his stiches out from being done :grnyuk:

So glad you got some good news at last

:mexwav:

lets hope things start to settle down, so they can all get on the road to recovery :flwr:

oh hugs to you both! i'm sorry that you're dealing with all of these illnesses and worries at the same time! fingers crossed about all the tests and try to keep yourself occupied so you don't constantly have it on your thoughts.

keep us updated and our thoughts are with you and your babies!

k

Back