• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

2007 Whole Dog Journal top rated dry foods

Since Im not a member I cant read it.... :|

Id love to see...can you give us any kind of a summery, Im sure to cut and paste the article would be breaking some kind of rule..... icon_whistling

luvzcavs said:
Not a subscriber yet.

Judy can you please tell me if eagle pack holistic is on there ?

Yes, Eagle Pack Holistic is on their top approved list. There are about 45 dog foods on the list.

Sorry, i can't post the article. It's a whole article, you know, like, big.

The 2006 list came out the same month i got Zack and I subscribed to the WDJ at that time. I needed to look at the food ratings several times during that period before i settled on a food, and i was glad to have access to the information.

Here's some excerpts from the article:
....Our task today is to dispense with a common misconception, one so prevalent that even many veterinarians swear it’s accurate. Many people believe that all dog foods that are labeled as “complete and balanced” are equally appropriate and healthful for your dog. It’s so not true.
In reality, there is a huge amount of variation in the nutrient levels of pet foods that are labeled “complete and balanced.” I’d like to start taking the quotation marks off that expression, believe me, but I just can’t. The phrase must be taken with a handful of salt. Yet few ever stop to question how it’s possible for a food containing, say, 42 percent protein and 22 percent fat (like Innova Evo), to be just as “complete and balanced” as a food containing 21 percent protein and 4 percent fat (like Purina Kibbles and Chunks).

...it may shock you to learn that a food can be labeled as “complete and balanced” even if it contains nutrient levels that are deficient, excessive, or imbalanced enough to cause illness in a dog fed a sole diet of that food for a number of years! I’ll explain how this is possible and you’ll see why I can’t take the quote marks off the phrase in question...

It is not acceptable within the copyright that goes with a publication like WDJ to repost entire articles to a website -- I would have to get permission and perhaps pay a licensing fee. Or could be liable for copyright violation. So if people want to read the whole list -- which is very long -- I do recommend a subscription to this very good journal. It is available in digital version (which is how I get it) at nominal cost. (y) I've posted the full table of contents in the General news section.

Also note that they themsleves say that just because a food appears on the list does not mean it is necessarily recommended for any goven dog. How a dog does on a food is a better indication. And they do recommend rotating foods -- only feeding on food over the life of a dog gives it a very limited nutritional pallet which may well be deficient over time.

Back