• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Enough is Enough!

sannie

Well, my other half has put his foot down and insist that the doggies are kept off the bed. He tells me he's fed up of eating, breathing and waking up to mouthfuls of dog fur :yikes .

The bedroom is fine - just not on or in the bed. So what's the best way of achieving this? I'm a big softie. Is it just a case of being tough? Actually they don't sleep on the bed on the nights I'm at work and he's at home - so maybe I'll let him take charge.

Anyone else had experience of this?

• Some times you gotta be tough during training.
    Be firm, but loving.
    Make sure it's clear that YOU are the alpha.
    They can be stubborn at times, and try to pass it off as being dense. Don't fall for it!
    Don't forget plenty of praise when things are going well.
I'm sure that in a couple of weeks you will have your husband trained.
:sl*p:

Experience of dogs sleeping on bed ? Yes-every night. Last night we got a bonus loud bump because , as we have a sprung edged divan, Monty rolled off when hr got too near the edge.

My husband mutters, about several dog issues, but I just ignore him.

yes you have to be firm!!!! i cant really talk for any other subject as i am soft as can get. but one thing jadan ws never allowed to do was go upstairs full stop. since we had him from 8 wks and he is now 10months he was never allowed up and if he even ventured onto the bottom step it was a firm "no Down!!!!" this was the cats escape from him and thought it best this way to give her some room from a very playfull pup. she got the message that even on the third step she was out of reach and has been that way every since. the only time jadan goes up is when i carry him to his bath....not going to make him realise he can do it himself!!! it started with him running up to eat the cats food but after a few firm "no down" and HEEEEEEPS!!!!!!!!! of praising when he did he soon got the idea after only a very short while, cant even say it was a week. think it helped at that age because he couldnt really get up the stairs anyway, only the smell of that deliceuos cat food got him up. anyway not to dribble on the point is to be very firm on them and notlet them get away with it when your back is turned either!! and lots of praise when they get it right, even a treat. maybe try and sit on the bed and while they are on the floor give them your sit stay command and if they move your no. mine is ugh ugh, you know like when they go to touch something they shouldnt...ugh ugh no! i was told it sounds like a bark! anyway good luck....wish it would work on my cat ;) shes the one on my bed!!!!! icon_whistling icon_whistling icon_whistling

Both of ours sleep in the kitchen now and are absolutely fine about it. As Dougal is only a pup he is crated, and the crate is covered with a heavy rug. Tandie just sleeps on her own bed. Usually there isn't a peep out of them until morning. I have to say it feels much healthier than having them sleeping on our bed. Tandie has quite short hair, but it's amazing how much she leaves behind her!

An idea I've seen on 'It's me or the dog" was putting a baby gate at your bedroom door and putting a dog bed just behind it. That way the dogs are almost in the room with you and you don't have the stress of removing them from the bed 50 times during the night when they try to get up on it :lol:

Mickey, You kill me. Husband training is much more difficult than dog training.

My DH and I have had the same discussion - over and over and over and over. I've told him that when he quits snoring, the girls will quit sleeping in our bed. Seems fair to me :badgrin: .

Seriously, though, short of crating them at night I don't know how I would keep them off the bed once they have been allowed to sleep in it.

JaneB

:D Last night hubby was complaining he was cold. I told him that if the pups slept with us he'd be warm. He said no because Jake would cuddle again my side and Shelby would be on my head. He's right...so they sleep in their crates :lol:

LMAO Mickey, yeah it is MUCH harder to train the men than the dogs :lol: Fortunately, mine isn't bothered about them being in the bedroom or on the bed - it's either that or he's worried that if he moans then I'll take Maxx and move into the spare room :lol:

Charlie has to sleep in the kitchen or no one gets any sleep. He spends the night wandering around, panicking :roll: In the daytime they are both up and down the stairs all day - they lie on my bed looking out the window :lol:

The funny thing is, when Whitney stays over, if she gets down in the night she always goes to hubby to get back on the bed - probably because she can't wake me up :lol:

Sannie, how about getting a doggie duvet or two? I made one for either side of our bed by cutting a single duvet in half and then stitching it back up & folding in half again then making some covers for them. Maxx starts off on our bed but then in the middle of the night he will get on one of his duvets. I think he's more comfortable as he can stretch out better :flwr:

My 3 cavs don't sleep in our bed, because my hubster doesn't want them to. That's how it was from the beginning, though, so we had no retraining to do.

I would suggest having them sleep in crates in your bedroom, which is what we do. Give them treats in their crates to make it a positive experience. They will be comforted to know they are near you all night. And you won't have to worry about stepping on them at night if you get up in the dark, plus you won't have to keep making them get off your bed. Expect some whining, because they will not understand the sudden rule change! You'll both have to be patient and ignore the whining. :flwr:

-Or- Do as Mic suggests and retrain your husband! :lol:
Mic said:
    Be firm, but loving.
    They can be stubborn at times, and try to pass it off as being dense. Don't fall for it!
cl*p :rotfl: (y)

Mic said:
    Be firm, but loving.

Having a rough day - this TOTALLY BROKE ME UP. oh its been sent to all family members - including the "spouse". Score!

Both would probably fit in the wire crate Argos carry (if they are reliably happy to be together in such close confines) -- I can check the size for you. Problem with a babygate is, if you have kids, you don't have much privacy then! :lol:

It may be easier to train them to the kitchen where they can have a bed or crate them in the kitchen. Easier to ignore the barking/whining that may happen initially if they are in the kitchen. Cover the crate totally with a dark sheet though and that should help -- then they don't have any visual stimulation.

Mine all are fine in crates when they are boarded. They accept that fine as an alternative. Every now and then I consider crating them all at night so I have room to stretch out.

:roll:

UPDATE!

:updte:

Just to thank everyone for all their suggestions regarding the problem my other half was having with dog hair getting everywhere, the best suggestion came from Mic...see here

Mic said:
    Be firm, but loving.

And I have to say it's working...training of Other Half is going great as you can see from these pics, we got him hoovering, even they guys are pleased and he even got a little reward (kiss) from Max .

Don't give up ladies, perseverance really does pay off. :rotfl:

378577088_107ea67aa0.jpg

378571941_0f17eec849.jpg

378571950_cf09fe4b4b.jpg

:lol: Now thats brilliant.

Think we should all take mic's advice.

Fortunatly for us Lola has slept in the dining room in her crate from day one and isnt allowed upsatirs either.

I have a babygate on the stairs too,the main reason i dont want Lola upsatairs is because there are too many small things that she will get hold of up there in the childrens rooms. I like her where i can keep an eye on her :roll:

Touch wood she has never cried at night and seems happy downstairs.

Oh what lovely pics - I'm sure Max really appreciates his Daddy's efforts to keep the bedroom clean and sock free for him Bran and Sal :lol:

LOL.....Lily was a lot harder to train than my hubby. The younger they are the easier they are to train ;)

Back