Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Many Walk Your CKCS Without A Lead?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin
    . I do love seeing them enjoy themselves off lead though. Lily is especially funny as when I got her she was so obese she could hardly run at all. Now she looks like the young dog she is, and when let off lead she runs in huge circles at high speed; runs and runs as fast as she can. I think just because she can!
    I couldn't agree more! I love watching the smiles on their faces as they charge around in circles trying to catch each other
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

Abbey is off lead, but only in the woods or at the lake--I don't trust that a butterfly wouldn't get her attention and she'd run out in the street. Gus is only 10 months and has a higher prey drive--I don't know if he'll ever be trusted off lead.
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like

lady has never been off lead and am not sure if i would but then again i am such a worry wart, i think that we will just use a flexi lead so she a little more freedom once she's a little better on the lead. At the moment she keeps trying to tie me up and trip me up when we go for walks i think she like to embaress me in front of everyone.
    Natalie, mummy to lady (blen) 8 months old

Post Thanks / Like

Holly used to be allowed off in a park, but after a scare that happened becahse the park was too close to the road, I now only let her off in certain parks. Thing with her is that she's very fixated on a particular toy and having it thrown for her and then thrown again, so the general rule is that as long as you have that toy, she'll be fine!

Amber follows Holly, so she's not bad. From day one I trained Amber to come to the whistle, as well as voice, and she gets lots of yummy treats for doing so. So when we're in the park and she's distracted and running after Holly, I'll whistle or call and reward her when she comes. So far, she's always come instantly. She's more treat/food fixated than Holly is, so that works in my favour too.
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

At first Marlon was very good off a lead he would never stray to far and always come back when called.
    As he got to six months after he had his little boys op he started getting braver and ran off a few times on the beach - lucky enough (being fairly young) I could run after him and catch him up.
    The problem was he run off a few times during the day (when my partners parents look after him) and they couldn't catch him.
    Lucky enough no harm done phew !
    After that we decided only walks on leads until he was trained to come back on call.
    Two weeks of hard recall work on a field, now he is fine again, I also take a ball on a rope with a bell in, which he odores and chases like mad so this is another way of controlling him,

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's really easy to feel once they are trained, they are trained. But they really need regular reinforcement that coming back to you is always rewarding (or any training cue) -- whether the reward be lots of praise, play with a special toy, a treat... Leo and Lily both get very so-so about returning when called unless I work on this regularly with them so I always try to grab some cat kibble (small and easy to carry, for treats) when I am taking them to the park. Good opportunity to do some fun recall work.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Last weekend a friend of my daughter's one yr old golden retriever got out of the backyard (loose gate latch - happened to me more times than I care to remember). He was very well trained - but regardless between the backyard and street smack in front of the house - he got hit by a car. The family heard the screeching brakes and immediately ran to window seeing their dog in the road and the driver kept going. The teenage son ran out and held his dog as it died.

It is my own personal belief (I dont mean to chastise those that do this otherwise) that any dog that has not gone through formal off line advanced (not basic level 2) training should not be off line unless in a large fenced area. Today more so than in last 5 yrs there are lots of dog parks to safely reinforce recall. With a Cavalier I fear more so than with a larger dog - as running in a wooded area they are at more risk with wildlife than a larger dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine are off-leash only in extremely safe places. We have a high school football field near our house where they are allowed off-leash (not legally ) and we'll go up there on a weekend and run. Not even remotely near a street. Also at the dog beach.

Just heard this morning about a little tri fella that slipped its collars in front of the vet's office, right into the street, and had to be pts. Makes me just hug my babies so tight. Unfortunately a Cavalier friend saw it, ran out to the dog, and rushed it into the vet's office.

Neither of mine is to be trusted.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah