• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Calling all Red head owners!

merlinsmum

Is it just me or are Rubies more difficult to train? :? Oakley seems to have jumping beans in his body. I can get him to sit but he jumps up immediately. :(

Oakley also has to fight with Merlin when you are trying to put Merlin's collar/harness/lead on and then while they are walking together ( its somewhat embarrasing as they make such a noise! :roll: ) and then when they are not fighting Oakley barks constantly.

Oakley trys to get on my laptop whilst I'm typing :roll: will he get "square eyes"?

He's very different to my sedate, well behaved Merlin.

In Oakley's naughtiness defence, he is a great cuddler :D and loves to fall asleep with my finger in his mouth..... just like a baby ;)

Anyone else notice how different the rubies seems to be?

Oakley sounds like all puppy and all boy. I am sure he'll grow out of some of his rambunctiousness, but I am sure part of it is his personality. Oakley sounds like a happy go lucky adventurer.

To answer your redhead question - I'll have to say my ruby is the exact opposite of your experience. Pippin has always been my best behaved cavalier. He is on the timid side and very cautious in new situations. He learned all his commands right away and I can even trust him off-leash. He is always a gentleman.

A month ago I'd have agreed with you since Amber seemed like real trouble in comparison to Holly. Now she's actually an amazingly easy puppy - just insatiably curious and very bright. Maybe Oakley's the same? Also, both of ours are rising 6 months and approaching adolescence, I think, and I understand it's normally for them to become a bit scatty with commands and try to test boundaries- although I don't remember Holly doing it!

funny you should mention it-----Indy was at a one-off training class recently and we noticed that our baby seems to be, well, much more rambunctious that the other cavs....even the ones younger than him. He's almost a year old.

he's not the most submissive of puppies and i have a sneaking suspicioun that it might be because mommy is a bit of a pushover. daddy is much better at keeping him in line, but even when my hubby does the firm 'no bite,' indy growls (with tail wagging) and does a couple of barks. he is NOT a barker so we were very suprised when this started happening.

indy is also still intact....maybe this has something to do with it?

i'm interested to see what other ruby owners think.

Clancy is five months old. He is pretty rambunctious, but also listens pretty quickly.

I'm starting a pup kindergarten class with him this Weds. Had first class last week which was humans only.

He has been barking like a madman at all sorts of odd things. The TV, at reflections in the windows at night, at the statues (life-size religious statues) at work. icon_whistling It should be an interesting class because I think he will be barking there, too!

I've been re-directing him to other things. He stops when I do this, but as soon as his attention wavers and he sees something it starts up again.

I have two rubies. My male is outgoing, wild man and my girl is quiet sweet, sometimes need to check to make sure she is around. Both are very very athletic much more so than my blk/tan and tris. But I think they all have their own personality not related to their color.

my brady is just down right naughty. but when i see him doing something bad and i catch him, he knows what he was doing was wrong and then he'll run away and hide for a little bit. but he is still a puppy so i'll give him some credit for that.

My Cooper is a lot more highly strung than our little blenheim boy Fergus. Barks at inanimate objects all the time - like my slippers or hubbys cap! Although Fergus does bark at animals on tv while Cooper doesn't. But in general he is louder and more neurotic than Fergus. But he's the only ruby I've ever known personally so I don't have a lot of experience with them!

We got our little ruby Katie at 15 mo. old. She had no training or rules in her prior house. She is fiesty but not mischevious. When we went to training classes, I called her my ADD girl. She would pay attention for 5 minutes, then watch the rest of the class or just lay down for 5 min. then go back to work for another 5 min. But she learned quickly! She just has a mind of her own. She was the last to join the house but is in charge of all the boys. She is also our most affectionate pup!

We'll I guess I better jump in hear and give my two cents.

I would also of agreeded totally with you about 2 months ago, I have noticed Darby is beginning to calm down a little. He is approaching 10 months on the Jan 29th, although he is a very very spunky boy and gets into puppy playful mischief he has never destroyed anything in my house. :thnku: Darby

He has a habit of chewing on baby toys, which is not allowed but once caught he will try running off with it but I will instantly follow and ask him to drop it and he does. (y)

The other day when I was taking photo's of them on our front porch, I did not trust him to sit without being on a leash. My instinct was right he took off dragging his leash behind him, but his older brother did the same.
:shock: :shock:

They did'nt go far four houses up the road, as soon as I opened the door to our minivan they both came running back. :D :D I then grabbed the leash and took them back to the porch to continue with our photo session but this time had a bag of treats in front of me.

A few months ago, I let Darby off leash at the park he scared the heeby geebies out of me as he would not come on recall. I had been letting them both off leash and they were both excellent at recall, Darby was so taken with seeing his breath as it was bitter cold on that day at the park he lost all interest in me and was totally into running and playing trying to catch the mist of his breath in the cold air.

I also am beginning to notice that he is a bit calmer since having him neutered which was done when he was 8 1/2 mths old.

He is snuggling much more, although he loves to retrieve and play.
This is something that Dudley never enjoyed doing, so I am enjoying this with Darby.

My breeder told me that the solid colours are more active and spunkier than the bleinhams and tri's.

I am sure she will settle down in another few months, could you imagine if we were to have a all Ruby Party. :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes

Would be interesting to see how they would all behave together. :huh:

When it comes to treats, Darby gets very excited and tends to push Dudley out of the way. I never give him the treat when he does this and he is now learning good behaviour equals treats, treats and more treats.

His tail is constantly wagging, he is one happy happy little boy.
I would'nt trade him for anything. :lotsaluv:

There is a thing the breeders we know call the rubies; it's "naughty ruby"! We have 3 rubies and I have to say, I don't know that I could really generalize that way, at least not with our 3. Isis would probably come under the definition of "naughty ruby", but definately not the other two. So as far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out for rubies. But it's fun to talk about!

All the older rubies I have met are really easy going so I've never seen the 'red head' stereotype. Actually someone recently asked me if different colours have different personalities and when I said, well, what colour, they said they'd heard the tris are always getting into trouble. I laughed and said lot of people think that about rubies and they said no, they were asking because they'd only ever met rubies before and they were so laid back by contrast! :lol:

My busybody and ADD child is Jaspar, a blenheim. :roll:

I don't think behaviour has anything to do with colour. I have four Blenheims and they are all different. Laid back and soppy, but not fussy. Very keen to please me, fussy just with me, shy, but dominant. Fussy with everyone, keen to please, but stubborn and lazy. Picky about who is 'in', aggressive sometimes, very keen to please, but only when it suits, very lively.

The ruby gets the naughty prize in our house

We have started calling them Angel Baby (Duncan) and Devil Child (Arty)

duncans_ma said:
The ruby gets the naughty prize in our house

We have started calling them Angel Baby (Duncan) and Devil Child (Arty)

Thats so funny...... Angel baby and Devil Child :lol: :badgrin: :lol: :badgrin: :lol: :badgrin: :lol:

Oakley sounds exactly like my Pippin. That would be soon to be 3 years old Tri-colour Pippin!

He is a little devil compared to Gus. Even poor Gus looks in awe at him sometimes!

I think he just likes being the little brother or little rascal more like!

I don't think he will ever stop acting like a puppy.

Tibby had a bad start in life, so I think that would not make her a typical ruby. She was rescued from a breeding kennel and we think she was about 3 when we got her. That has been about 4 years ago. She is still very timid most of the time, almost like she is afraid she is going to do the same thing. Since she immediately took up with hubby we think she was mistreated by a woman. She was also de-barked before we got her (don't get me started on that issue!) so the rare times that she does bark it isn't much of a sound.

Wallis, my blenheim, is a total princess. The only time she ever makes a sound is when she sees the leads come out which means she is either going to the groomer or the vet. (We have a big fenced back yard for them) Her favorite outdoor activity is chasing lizards - and with only one good eye she isn't too good at that. Her favorite indoor activity is sleeping.

Back