• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

lady had a fall

Natalie

We took lady for a walk we always let her walk then carry her to let her have a rest then let her walk a little more. Jason held her and she saw a bird and jumped out of him arms on to the floor she made a horrible cry it was so loud i thought that she had broke her leg. She had the lead tangled around her leg. We checked her over and she didn't have any pain in her paws and legs. But she started shaking like shivering so jason but her inside his coat to keep her warm and as soon as we got back to car we took her to the vets. I was sure that she didn't seem right so wanted to take her straight to vets. Vet checked her over she didn't cry out when the vet checked her paws, legs, back and neck. And siad that maybe she cried out because she fell from a funny angle and could have brusing so they gave her an injection mefacam which would help with pain and anti inflamity (spelling). Since we got her home all she has done is slept on my knee which is not uncommon. She started playing now she doesn't look in pain and she moves ok. She's had a wee and has only had a little bit of puppy tubo. I can hear her playing with jason now so she's more livley. So she must be getting back to her normal self. I was so scared and i think that i might have over rreacted by taking her to the vets but how do you know what to do for the best? If she carries on playing and eating weeing and pooing as normal will she be ok?Vet said to keep her quite but she bouncing about having a mad 5 minutes at moment how do i keeep her quiet? Does anyone have any advice on what to do if a puppy injuries a leg?Sorry if this post doesn't make sense am feeling really upset i was so scared that she had serviously hurt herself.

Oh that must have been scary! Glad to hear Lady seems ok.

To keep her quiet, she should not be running, jumping, or going up or down stairs. Ideally, keep her in one room with baby gates or an x-pen if you have one. Be calm around her, and she will be calmer. You may find that just reading a book or watching TV near her will help her to want to nap, since nothing much is going on.

When you take her out to go potty keep her on a lead and don't let her run, trot, jump, etc.

I would've gone straight to the vet too, that is really scary. She was well checked over so she should be ok now, glad to hear she feels good enough to play again. it's good she has a mama to keep such a close eye on her. :)

Since Harvey fell and fractured his leg we have been told to keep him quiet and not to let him jump around, we have been doing this for approx 6 weeks!

The best ways i find are to keep her in a small room so that she cannot wonder around to much or our god send was our puppy crate, we packed it full of fun stuff to chew and his favorite blankets to make it all cosy and he didnt seem to mind being in it at all.

It is hard to keep a puppy from doing what puppies do best (running & jumping around) espically if like me you have cats that are (in his eyes) just begging to be played with :)

It sounds to me like she's going to be ok but it is better to be safe for tonight!

The same thing happened to Maggie the first day we had her. She jumped out of my arms for no reason. I think she needed to go to the bathroom and I was carrying her outside when she jumped. She cried for a while then calmed down, but was favoring the leg. The vet felt her leg and she did not cry, gave me the option to x ray or not. I chose to be safe and do the x ray. She did have a hairline fracture that took 5 weeks in a cast/splint. You definately need to keep her from running around for a while. She is fine now, but I cried for 2 days because I felt so bad.

I think you definately did the right thing going to the vet. Even if she did not do damage during the fall she may have needed treatment for shock, especially with the shaking. Always better to be safe than sorry as they say ! (y)

:updte: We kept her in the lounge yesterday eveing and she just stayed a asleep on our laps then had a little play. But she has been a bit loose over the night but she had a poo early this morning and she was back to normal so maybe she was a little stressed or the injection had upset her. She still hasn't eaten any brekfast and she normally eats it all at 7.30. She hasn't moved from her crate yet and the door has been left open since i got up at 7 am. She doesn't look like she's in pain and her eyes are bright. I don't know what to do i might ring up vets and see if this is normal or not?

If she's not moving about as she normally would or not eating and drinking, I would call the vet as soon as possible. Watch for any limping. Also, did the vet check her mouth / teeth for injury?

hi cathy by boyfriend came home earlier and as soon as he walked in she was jumping about and has eaten all her breakfast and have been drinking normally. She's been to the loo again and had a firm poo so that's a relief. She doesn't make a fuss for her daddy she ate all her food once he told her too. I wish she was so obidient with me.

Back