Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GREENIES-HELP!

Post Thanks / Like

Default GREENIES-HELP!

I've fed Lia a Greenies small bone. I don't know why, because i usually don't do that, but I read the fine print.
    Greenies can't be fed to dogs less than 6 months!

(Lia is four) I've fed her greenies twice!
    Laura Lia Maia

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just keep an eye on her and wait until the appropriate recommended age to feed her anymore
    [B][COLOR=yellowgreen]We[/COLOR] [COLOR=plum]Love [/COLOR][COLOR=yellowgreen]Cicero[/COLOR]![/B]
    [B][COLOR=yellowgreen]"Suum Cuique"[/COLOR][/B]
    (To Each Thier Own)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They are extra digestible now as well. Always make sure you have the right size for your cavalier too. I give mine a Greenie nearly every day.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Can you get GREENIES and PIZZLE STICKS in Ireland?????
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lidl has pizzle sticks (only place I know of). Some petshops carry Greenies. There is an Irish distributor; you can also order them from the UK I think. I buy mine bulk in the US when I am visiting.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

I looked in Lidl and couldn't find them. Are the under a different brand name perhaps???

Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

There was ascare about using Greenies some time ago. I didn't take much notice because I don't use them, but several people on the forum I was on threw theirs in the bin.

For anyone using Dentastix, Tesco have 28 stick boxes at very good prices, at the moment. I had 28 giant ones for well under £5. I used to buy the larger ones and cut them up, as their price per 100g is lower, but my lot enjoy a whole one, which doesn't last long, even with (almost) toothless Izzy.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wasn't too concerned about that particular scare, but they have reformulated Greenies since then anyway and they are now much softer and more digestible. But then I feed raw bones like raw chicken necks and occasional wings, and marrow bones, which would worry some people too. I feel the benefits outweight the risks.

It was a bit ironic to see some avowed raw feeders get quite worked up about Greenies though. Much higher possible risks I should think from raw meat and bones but still very small. With Greeneis, you need to know your dog doesn't chew off chunks, similar to deciding whether rawhides are safe for the same reason. A lot of people who had problems found 'large pieces undigested' which means the dog was breaking off and swallowing chunks. Rawhides, which are widely available, cause far more problems and are even deisnged in shapes that encourage swallowing dangerously large pieces (eg those ends of bone shaped rawhides, or the laces on those shoes!).

Pizzle sticks are in those boxes of mixed treats at Lidl, with the dried tripe etc. You usually have to dog around for them but Blanch and Moore St branches always have them.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

I got scared when I read the topic, as I remember the deaths due to Greenies. I didn't know that they had been re-formulated, that is good. But, if my dog eats too much of any one thing, I tend to take it away from him, just to be on the safe side.....like chewies and things like that.
    ~Renee, Bentley & Bailey & Maddie

Post Thanks / Like

I read somewhere that Greenies are just mainly compressed Chlorophyll... that is why dogs just love them! Around here we call them Doggie Crack! LOL!
    [B][COLOR=yellowgreen]We[/COLOR] [COLOR=plum]Love [/COLOR][COLOR=yellowgreen]Cicero[/COLOR]![/B]
    [B][COLOR=yellowgreen]"Suum Cuique"[/COLOR][/B]
    (To Each Thier Own)