• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

GREENIES-HELP!

Laura&Lia

I've fed Lia a Greenies small bone. I don't know why, because i usually don't do that, but I read the fine print.
:yikes :yikes :yikes Greenies can't be fed to dogs less than 6 months!

(Lia is four) I've fed her greenies twice!

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just keep an eye on her and wait until the appropriate recommended age to feed her anymore

They are extra digestible now as well. Always make sure you have the right size for your cavalier too. (y) I give mine a Greenie nearly every day.

Lidl has pizzle sticks (only place I know of). Some petshops carry Greenies. There is an Irish distributor; you can also order them from the UK I think. I buy mine bulk in the US when I am visiting.

I looked in Lidl and couldn't find them. Are the under a different brand name perhaps???

:flwr:

There was ascare about using Greenies some time ago. I didn't take much notice because I don't use them, but several people on the forum I was on threw theirs in the bin.

For anyone using Dentastix, Tesco have 28 stick boxes at very good prices, at the moment. I had 28 giant ones for well under £5. I used to buy the larger ones and cut them up, as their price per 100g is lower, but my lot enjoy a whole one, which doesn't last long, even with (almost) toothless Izzy.

I wasn't too concerned about that particular scare, but they have reformulated Greenies since then anyway and they are now much softer and more digestible. But then I feed raw bones like raw chicken necks and occasional wings, and marrow bones, which would worry some people too. I feel the benefits outweight the risks. :)

It was a bit ironic to see some avowed raw feeders get quite worked up about Greenies though. Much higher possible risks I should think from raw meat and bones but still very small. With Greeneis, you need to know your dog doesn't chew off chunks, similar to deciding whether rawhides are safe for the same reason. A lot of people who had problems found 'large pieces undigested' which means the dog was breaking off and swallowing chunks. Rawhides, which are widely available, cause far more problems and are even deisnged in shapes that encourage swallowing dangerously large pieces (eg those ends of bone shaped rawhides, or the laces on those shoes!).

Pizzle sticks are in those boxes of mixed treats at Lidl, with the dried tripe etc. You usually have to dog around for them but Blanch and Moore St branches always have them.

I got scared when I read the topic, as I remember the deaths due to Greenies. I didn't know that they had been re-formulated, that is good. But, if my dog eats too much of any one thing, I tend to take it away from him, just to be on the safe side.....like chewies and things like that.

I read somewhere that Greenies are just mainly compressed Chlorophyll... that is why dogs just love them! Around here we call them Doggie Crack! LOL!

We were into Greenies until one of the girls got choked on one and I said "No more". Sasha and Tibby always seem to get into arguments over who owns which treat so I don't need that. Unlike the Cavaliers, Sasha is very into her toys and is very possessive about material things. We sleep with 5 toys every night and if one has fallen off the bed she will stand and look at it until I get up and get it for her. (No, she's not spoiled!)

Thanks for the answers. In fact Lia is perfect, she loves the Greenies!!. They are the smaller greenies, and only give her half of it.

Here in a Spain, in the petstore where I buy the kibble and all Lia's things, there are greenies, and other teethbones, but I'm not sure what are they done!!! When I saw Greenies I thought they were the safest!

:flwr:

our Lidl do packs of about 4 pizzle sticks - just in the dog ffod section.

Barbara, be careful with dentastix, they have some nasty ingredients in them {basically anything that says meat and animal derivatives}

I checked the Blanchardstown Lidl last night and they still have the pizzle stickes -- they are in the pink package in amongst all the small packs of treats. You often have to dig around in the box to find them.

ANY treat can cause choking, as can kibble -- ask your vet and I'll bet they will say they have had choking cases from dogs inhaling their normal kibble; and more problems with things like rawhides than Greenies and so forth.

Treats need to be monitored while feeding; dogs generally should not all be lying around together while eating treats as that can be fertile ground for fights or choking if one starts to gulp its treat because it sees another dog eyeing it. Many people only give treats in crates for this reason.

I've learned over time who likes what; who eats fast and who, slow; which treats I can give when they are close together. I know Jasdpar plays games with treats that can create fights. I know Leo will try and steal remaining bits of a treat. It's always a policing situation around here. :lol:

I think I was out of touch with reality when the news came out about dogs dying because of the greenies. I assume that it was the choking? I know that the ones I gave used to get all mushy and slimy...

Karlin, I know what you mean by having to watch them. Sasha is the youngest here and tries hard to be the alpha dog. Wallis is so laid back that she wouldn't make an effort to fight for anything. Tibby has a bit of bark in her. Last night she wanted to attack the cat because he was in the chair with her and Bubba, but at night they sleep curled up together.

My dogs get few treats, and anyone who comes to visit gets a speech from me if they give them any human food. I'm just a mean Mama I guess!

Back