Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GREENIES-HELP!

Post Thanks / Like

We were into Greenies until one of the girls got choked on one and I said "No more". Sasha and Tibby always seem to get into arguments over who owns which treat so I don't need that. Unlike the Cavaliers, Sasha is very into her toys and is very possessive about material things. We sleep with 5 toys every night and if one has fallen off the bed she will stand and look at it until I get up and get it for her. (No, she's not spoiled!)
    Critter -
    RIP Wallis, John Robert, Tibby & Pip
    Mom to JoJo, Roxie & Linguini (Cavaliers)
    and my birds Moji (Senegal) and Walter (Blue Front Amazon)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the answers. In fact Lia is perfect, she loves the Greenies!!. They are the smaller greenies, and only give her half of it.

Here in a Spain, in the petstore where I buy the kibble and all Lia's things, there are greenies, and other teethbones, but I'm not sure what are they done!!! When I saw Greenies I thought they were the safest!

Laura Lia Maia

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

our Lidl do packs of about 4 pizzle sticks - just in the dog ffod section.

Barbara, be careful with dentastix, they have some nasty ingredients in them {basically anything that says meat and animal derivatives}
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I checked the Blanchardstown Lidl last night and they still have the pizzle stickes -- they are in the pink package in amongst all the small packs of treats. You often have to dig around in the box to find them.

ANY treat can cause choking, as can kibble -- ask your vet and I'll bet they will say they have had choking cases from dogs inhaling their normal kibble; and more problems with things like rawhides than Greenies and so forth.

Treats need to be monitored while feeding; dogs generally should not all be lying around together while eating treats as that can be fertile ground for fights or choking if one starts to gulp its treat because it sees another dog eyeing it. Many people only give treats in crates for this reason.

I've learned over time who likes what; who eats fast and who, slow; which treats I can give when they are close together. I know Jasdpar plays games with treats that can create fights. I know Leo will try and steal remaining bits of a treat. It's always a policing situation around here.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think I was out of touch with reality when the news came out about dogs dying because of the greenies. I assume that it was the choking? I know that the ones I gave used to get all mushy and slimy...

Karlin, I know what you mean by having to watch them. Sasha is the youngest here and tries hard to be the alpha dog. Wallis is so laid back that she wouldn't make an effort to fight for anything. Tibby has a bit of bark in her. Last night she wanted to attack the cat because he was in the chair with her and Bubba, but at night they sleep curled up together.

My dogs get few treats, and anyone who comes to visit gets a speech from me if they give them any human food. I'm just a mean Mama I guess!
    Critter -
    RIP Wallis, John Robert, Tibby & Pip
    Mom to JoJo, Roxie & Linguini (Cavaliers)
    and my birds Moji (Senegal) and Walter (Blue Front Amazon)