• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

SM vs. Allergies

CVFlagg

Is there a way (short of an MRI) to differentiate between SM and allergies?My 3 year old has always itched around his head and neck area and the vet has always said allergies and given us some anti-itch medicine which helps to a degree. I would hate to know that it has been something more serious all this time but would also hate to go through the MRI process if all he really had was allergies. Are there any other accompanying symptoms that would differentiate? Thanks!

Yes: check my SM website at www.sm.cavaliertalk.com. There is a long list of possible symptoms, and also, a section that suggests the process to go through to eliminate other possibilities. Also, there are videos of the kind of scratching SM dogs do. That will help, I hope!

It's very difficult to diagnose on clinical symptoms alone and generally you need to see a neurologist, and then, get an MRI -- which tends to be expensive -- the only way of getting a definite dagnosis. However if he is only scratching and it isn't really bothersome for him I wouldn't be inclined to investigate SM as a possibility unless you eliminate every other possibility and also, start to see some other suspicious signs.

Back