• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

SM or itchy?

Gracesbigsis

My almost-a-year-old cavalier, Grace scratches at her ears, face, and neck, but does not scratch any skin raw, she just scratches a lot and sometimes gets really into the scratching. I know cavaliers can get SM and a big part of that is scratching a lot, but Grace doesn't seem to be in any discomfort and is otherwise, quite normal. Could she have SM, or is it just itchy ears, maybe mites?

I would get her checked over by your vet just in case, they can test to rule out parasites and skin allergies etc.

Print off the information from http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/ and take that with you for your vet to read.

I really hope it isn't SM, but you need to get this sorted immediately.

If she is scratching a lot at head and ears then you definitely eant to have a vet check her for ear infections or ear mites or fleas, to start with.

The SM website has videos of affected cavaliers including the type of scratching they do so this should be helpful. There's also a list of things to do if you think it is possible your cavalier might have SM.

But the starting point for you is really to get her checked for other causes of scratching as these can be very uncomfortable for her. (y)

Back