• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ear question

CavalierLover

I have some questions about ears.

I noticed a few days that Bishop was itching his ears. I had been told in Sept. by the Vet to clean tham with a 1/2 white vinegar, 1/2 water solution: she sais to just squirt some in and he would shake it out.

I kinda did this last time he got a bath (I was afraid to put too much) and it was fine. I tried it again yesterday and he really didn't like it and he shook his head for much longer (I am afraid I put too much). It seemed fine and the ears look clean...but it's smelly.

I am not sure how (and if) ears are supposed to smell. He does need a bath icon_whistling (it's been a little while but he hasn't been stinky :p )
One ear smells a bit like foot (stinky socks); the other one (that I tried to clean), smells like really stinky socks! :grnyuk:

I am thinking this may be an ear infection (??) Does this smell familiar?
I have no idea and Bishop's ears are getting to be so long...or does he just need a bath?

I also saw the past threads on using Epi-otic...should this be used instead of this vinegar/water solution? (I just want to make sure we are taking good care of his ears)

I think you should bring him back to the vet. Sounds a lot like ear mites to me, they can be really smelly. The vet will give you drops to get rid of them.

Good luck :flwr:

Infections are smelly too -- it would be good to get this checked if his ears seem to be bothering him at all.

Valerie,
Below is a "formula" that I received from a friend of mine - a long time Cavalier owner. She and many others swear by it to treat ear issues. I'm sure it's used by many of the folks on this forum. I thought it might be helpful to pass it around.
JaneB

Homemade Ear Cleaner

Ingredients
• 16 ounce bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol (standard 70%)
• 4 Tablespoons of Boric Acid Powder
• 16 Drops Gentian Violet Solution (1%)
Mix together in alcohol bottle and shake well, shake well before each use
Treatment Procedure
• Flood ear with solution using a squirt bottle
• Gently massage base of ear to a count of 60, wipe off excess with tissue
• First Treatment: Flood ear twice, wipe with tissue and leave alone. DO NOT MASSAGE (Dog will shake out excess so beware!)
WARNING!! Gentian Violet DOES stain so be sure to do the treatment outside or some other safe place
Schedule of Treatment
• Treat 2 times per day for the first 7 to 14 days depending upon severity of ears
• After second or third day you may clean the ear with a Q-tip or cotton ball
• Treat 1 time per day for the next 2 weeks, then less frequently until no longer needed.

This treatment works well on most ear problems - from mites to wax to canker. It is also good to use during the normal grooming cycle.

Thank you. I did google it and dogs ears should NOT smell. I took him to the Vet and they were surprised his ears were so clean...looks like I caught a Yeast infection at its early stages. So I was given Epi-otic for cleaning (the Vet did say that 1/2 white vinegar, 1/2 water is usually fine but he needed something stronger for now), then I have to put tri-otic (do both 2x a day for 12 days)...Bishop HATES it!! This will be fun! :x icon_whistling but he seems to be itching less already! :D

(then she wanted to give him anti-histamines because she said allergies were horrible around here for dogs---it is for people--but I said no, I prefer not give him anything if doesn't really need it)

My darling Lottie was botheres with her ears recently and when I took her to get them checked she had a cyst in both ears :( She had to have them lanced under a GA. Now she is on antibiotics, epiotic wash as well as cortisone ears drops and pain killers. My poor baby!!! :( She is so tolerant when she has to have anything done.
Julie and the girls

I use Epi-Otic on Tucker weekly as part of normal cleaning, combing his ears helps too. With these long floppy ears they are more prone to yeast infections, because of the dark, moist environment. I moisten papertowel and roll it up small and get inside his ear, otherwise, I squirt a small amount in the ear canal and dry it with tissue, or cotton to absorb excess fluid. Good thing about epi-otic is that it's fast drying. Tucker does not like this either. Soon as I finish he throws himself to the floor and rubs his ears all over everything in sight.

Sam used to have very smelly ears too, even after cleaning with water. I asked the vet and some friends ans now I usetwice a week cleaning drops I got from the vet. Now his ears don't smell any more, and it was really bad before, you could smell his ears when he was lying beside you on the couch :yuk: . When he has mites It should look like very dark (how do you call it?) paste (?) in his ears.
Good luck with it! Better ask the vet to be sure!

Back