• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Working Cavi parents....

My Wesley

If you work full time, what do you do with your Cav during the day? I'm looking to go back to my office full time and Wesley will be around 4-5 months old. He does really well in his crate, and also has had no accidents in an open crate in an x-pen. I'm thinking what I may do is keep his crate and x-pen set up in the house while I'm at work. And my office is only 10 minutes from the house and DH's office is just 8 minutes away. So we both could come at least once a day to hang out with him and take him out to potty. As well as I've had neighbors that have offered to take him out if I ever needed it. Is this sufficient enough? It'd be the typical 8-5 work day.

DH has said NO WAY to putting him in doggy daycare, as we'll already be spending over $1900/mo on high end schooling for the kids. And I think since we can come home for him he should be alright.

If you did something like this, or just already worked full time, how did your puppy transition to you being gone? I'd REALLY like for him to be ok.

And I may even be able to sneak him to the office one day a week or so, as I work for a small company. And my DH also has his own private office here as his company is located across the country. So I bet he might be able to do something as long as his office lease doesn't have rules.

So how does it work for you?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you've got it covered. If you can both pop in once a day for potties. I had my neighbor's teenage boy come over and just play with the dogs for an hour when I was out of town and hubby was working.

When I am at work Robbie is in his crate and Riley is loose (although Riley was crated til he was about 4 years old before he was trustworthy)..I am less than 10 minutes away so come home for an hour lunch...they also do go to day care 2 - 3 days a week.

I keep both Wesley and Cody corralled in the kitchen while my hubby and I work. If I left just Cody in there alone he would go balistic so they keep each other company. My hubby comes home at lunch to let them out to potty and play, which has been working great for us. Cody is 6 months old now and is quite used to the routine. :D

If I could, I would take them to work with me every day, but alas I work in a school so that is impossible. If your hubby could get away with it, I am sure little Wesley would prefer it!!

We have a very similar set up! Our boys are crated during the day and we pop in on them at least at lunch sometimes 3 times during the day. They are very used to the routine and seemingly happy with it...although I am sure they would rather be snuggled with us on the couch.

We also bring the dogs to work with us (mainly my OH) when we are heading out of town and want to leave from work or one has a vet appt.

I think what you are doing sounds great!!

Do you think it would be a good idea to get him a companion when he's about 8 months to a year old? It seems as dogs fare well with another around. I'd hate for him to be lonely. And would you get a puppy or an older Cav?

Most people responding are probably going to say that you should wait until he is around 18 months to get another puppy so that you have bonding time with Wesley. Also it makes it more convenient with potty training if you only have to do one at a time...

I say go for it. Cavies love to have a playmate and a snuggle buddy. It is up to you whether or not you get a puppy or an older cav, but Wesley will most likely regress to the younger pup's behavior (with training and potty issues) if you go the puppy route. It's really up to you.

We got both of our cavs at 16 weeks and they are 1 year a part in age. Duncan was 16 months when Arthur cams to us. For us, it was the perfect time for another Cav...Duncan was really reliable in the house so there weren't too many bad habits rubbing off on the pup, etc...I would wait until your dog is at least a year old based on my experience.

They play so well together with the age difference we have I would certainly recommend it.

Ah... that's what it is. 18. I remember hearing something with an 8 in it. 18 would also be much more convenient. Now I'll just have to dupe the husband into it in a year or so.

Or who knows. Maybe I'll decide being back FT isn't for me and I'll just quit. :) I should know in about 2 weeks how things are going to happen.

both my boyfriend and i work full time...the whole 9 o 5 thing. i used to get an hour for lunch, and i would be able to go home during that and let brady out and eat.... but just this week, they changed my lunch to 45 minutes...i don't know if i would have enough time to go home and eat in that amount of time. i guess i would have to time it better or something. eat a sandwich in the car or something. i don't really have a job that i can eat at a desk or anything like that so that's out of the question. i have hard enough time trying to make it to pee! at the moment, my boyfriends brother is staying with us, so he helps out some, but it's not always going to be like that. brady has done well for extended periods of time in his crate (9 hours) and been find. i'm sure your little guy will do fine. but if you can afford to not work and spend time with your family, i would do it.

I went for the playmate for Spencer route when I got Izzy....well guess what! It is great when I am home and they can play together, but when I leave for work (8-9 hours of the day) they cannot stay together. Spencer HATES his crate. Screams (not cries...SCREAMS) from the time I leave until the time I get back. He is such a good boy that I leave him the run of the living room and the kitchen while I am gone. I rarely have an accident from him and he doesn't get into stuff. Izzy, on the other hand, races to get in her crate (I think it is because she has her own food, water and bed and she loves that concept). I cannot leave her out unattended even for 15 minutes. She will destroy ANYTHING. Seat cushions, baseboards, window blinds, shoes, you name it. So, so much for playmates for when I am not there. :roll: But I will say, they do not act too disappointed about their situations for when I am not there. You just have to do what is right for your particular dog. :flwr:

Well, luckily my boss is the President of the company. Even now there are times when I bring the kids in the office. Or when Madyn was a tiny baby, I'd have her there with me for 8 hours on some days just so I could be in the office. I'm sure they wouldn't mind Wesley as long as he isn't a distraction. I'm sure he can't free roam the office. My space there is currently a cubicle, but my boss was asking me where I wanted to be when I came back. We have closed offices available that I could get, so if by chance I have an enclosed office, then I will DEFINITELY try to bring him with me. I would just kind of feel bad if he can see me, but not be able to play with me the whole time.

I'm going to be the odd one out here. I would only leave him if the neighbour could pop in along with both your visits at lunch. If you're gone from 8-5, it's a terrible long time for him to be left alone (I think). Myself and my partner work very long shifts and have a 2 hour (return) commute. We're very lucky that I have a relative living nearby that doesn't work and can take our little guy when we're both in together. Our working hours were a major factor in us getting a dog. It was only when my relative offered that we decided 100% to get him. If I had to leave him for long hours at a time I would get him a friend!

My Wesley said:
Well, luckily my boss is the President of the company. Even now there are times when I bring the kids in the office. Or when Madyn was a tiny baby, I'd have her there with me for 8 hours on some days just so I could be in the office. I'm sure they wouldn't mind Wesley as long as he isn't a distraction. I'm sure he can't free roam the office. My space there is currently a cubicle, but my boss was asking me where I wanted to be when I came back. We have closed offices available that I could get, so if by chance I have an enclosed office, then I will DEFINITELY try to bring him with me. I would just kind of feel bad if he can see me, but not be able to play with me the whole time.

Oh, I would definitely try and take him with you... just have a comfy "den" that he can retreat to in your office!! I have some friends that take turns taking thier pups to work with them and they mostly just sleep minus the potty brakes.

At first thier boss got a little peeved at the morning and afternoon potty brake, but that quickly went away when they reminded thier boss that the people who smoked in the office had 15 minute brakes in the am and pm as well.

We work full time and had to find a way as well when Ginger was a small puppy. I live literally 6 minutes walking distance from my office and I work for my familys company. So it all seemed to be fine and dandy, id come home for lunch (although I never really took "lunch" before, just ate at my desk) and id come home another time in the afternoon.
It turned out I just couldnt leave her and would end up spending way to much time at home with her! I felt bad having her crated for 3-4 hours and felt worse putting her back in when I had to leave.
I have a woman who comes to clean my house 2x a week and LOVES ginger, so those days I would try and get most of my work done!
But after a family discussion it was agreed (the discussion happened without me!) that I needed to find a better way. I found a daycare that Ginger Loves. So shes at home with the lady 2x a week, at daycare 2x a week and i sneak her in the office with me on Fridays.
I have an office with a door, she sometimes gets up and scratches at the door if I leave, but for the most part shes either laying in her bed I have here for her or sitting on my lap underneath the desk!
My suggestion is if you can choose an office w/ a door and bring her in, go that route! It also might become chore like to have to go home every day and if your busy working on something at that moment and its "time" to go it can get in the way.

Back