Thread: What age for a new addition to the family?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What age for a new addition to the family?

Hi All,

I was just wondering what would be the ideal age to add another pup to our family? Coco is 7 months old now and I would love her to have a little friend!! She has great fun with the puppy next door and is always sad when roxy goes home!

Also, would you think a boy or a girl would be best? I would love either equally but I Just want what would be best for Coco!

Post Thanks / Like

I think the general consensus of the board is to wait until your Coco is a year to 18 months old.....but of course, it is your decision.

Duncan was 16 months when Arthur (at 4 months) came to us...it was nice becasue Duncan was very relaible at this point and only slightly regressed with the new pup
    Ashley - Mom to Duncan (4 years/blenheim) and Arthur (3 years/ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Ashley,

i did think at least a year old would be suitable...only 5 months to go!! I'll just have to enjoy her all to myself for now!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello

Lucas was 15 months when Kasper joined us..its quite a nice age as he was trained and it made everybodys life a little easier..

Mind you now its as if they were never apart, i just love watching them together and i am soo pleased we have both of them

Take Care
    effie
    xx
    Effie
    xxx
    Mummy to: Henry (Kitty), Chloe (Kitty), Lucas (Cavie) and Kasper (Cavie)
    www.designer-doggie.com

Post Thanks / Like

sorry for this *useless* contribution but effie i just wanted to say i love your avatar---your little cav is so cute and i love the clear doggy bed!
    Mom of Indiana Jones 'Indy' (Ruby male)

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Dudley was 2 1/2 when Darby joined our family.
    So he was totally reliable, we would of most likely brought Darby home when Dudley was about 18 months but I was on a waiting list for a Ruby.

In the beginning I had my doubts about them accepting each other, but they are best chums now.
    It took Dudley a good 6 weeks for what I would call accepting Darby.
    Mom to Daniel, Derrick, David
    Dudley 3 Years Old
    Darby 1 Year Old

Post Thanks / Like

Cherrise was 8 months when Hope came along .. but i chose to look for an older pup.. Hope was 7 months already and was already house trained by her breeder too..

in my opinion adding an older pup is sooo much easier.. (but very depending on the pup itself i guess.. ) and lots of breeder lets go older pups that they kept in the 1st place because they thought that the pups had show potential but end up having underbites etc etc.. nothing wrong with them otherwise!

gd luck!
    Lin. proud owner of baby Cherrise, Blenheim princess, 11.5 months and baby Hope, Pomeranian princess, 10.5 months.. !

Post Thanks / Like

Oh we are already talking about our next one, too. We were hoping to add the next baby this summer because I'll be home all day and could really watch both of them together. Ellie will only be 8 months at that point, though. We'll just have to see how long we can wait....
    *Kim, Teddy (10 month old Ruby boy), and Ellie (4 month old blenheim girl)*

Post Thanks / Like

We also would be very open to a rescue or adult dog at that point, so maybe that would make a difference.
    *Kim, Teddy (10 month old Ruby boy), and Ellie (4 month old blenheim girl)*