Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: X-Pen

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default X-Pen

I just wanted to see what type everyone had? I want my puppy to not be stuck in her kennel during the day, so I thought an x-pen would work well. The metal and plastic ones make me nervous, I'm scared she is going to get something caught in the holes or climb out as she gets a little older. I like the soft-sided ones, but are they light? I don't want her sneaking out underneath.

Any advice on which I should choose or any personal experience you have on them would be great!
    - Tara -
    Mom to furbaby Sadie Belle

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a pic of the xpen my hubby built for Dudley and we used it again for Darby.

We placed a piece of lineleum on the carpet.

We placed their crate inside it worked well for me.
    Also kept little hands away.

Mom to Daniel, Derrick, David
    Dudley 3 Years Old
    Darby 1 Year Old

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, your hubby went all out on your pen! Why do people here call them Xpens? What does the X mean? I am using a collapsable pen that I purchased at PetSmart for Dottie. It is in our kitchen, on the linoleum. So far she is doing well in it, but I figure in time she will be able to knock it down!

Post Thanks / Like

That's the problem with them. If i had more space i'd have asked my dad to do me something similar to the setup that both Linda and Cecily have, but I don't- so it was the collasiple wired ones. It's quite finicky making sure that all the unsteady bits are ramped up and I never leave Amber in it because she managed to get out of it before she was five months old!!! however, it has been invaluable the past week after her spay when she has been too sore to try and jump. It has meant I can contain her in the living room and move around into the kitchen etc without worrying about her trying for the stairs or jumping up on the sofa. But it was supported by an argos catalogue and a couple of DVD box sets..
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

We use the wire kind. They have 8: 24" wide panels and will make a 4' x 4' square or can be arrangeged as an octagon, etc., etc. We have both the 30" high and 36" high. We have had the 30" pens for years and only just recently bought 2 of the 36" high. The only thing I don't like about the 36" high is that it's a little too tall to just step over if you have to get into it in a hurry.

We have never had any of our crew jump out of the 30" high, but we did hear once of someone who did. For our 2 current litters, we put two xpens together to make a 4' x 8' enclosure. It sits on a piece of sheet vinyl we laid on the floor to protect the hardwood floors. To stabilize the top on the long dimension, I took a piece of PVC pipe and cut a slot lengthwise so it slides over the pen at the joints. They say a picture is worth a thousand words:

BTW, xpen is short for exercise pen.
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

Exercise pen, DUH! Thanks for the info! That is the same kind we use ... makes the 4x4 square! Ours came with small black pieces that work the same as your PVC pipe. What a good idea!

Kim

Post Thanks / Like

Bruce: thanks for the tip on the PVC stabilizer piece! Brilliant idea.
    Molly and Murphy (tri), Katie (ruby), Casey (B/T),Spike the wonder pup (tri), Suzie (tri) and Penny (blen)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Soft Sided

Here is a link to the one I have:
    http://www.petedge.com/jump.jsp?item...EX&itemID=1411
    I love it. It is a little light, but Lily is not able to get under it. She has however, gotten over it a few times. I should have gotten the taller one, but I thought, no way she can get over. Either way, I do like it and so does Lily.

Okay, I keep trying to make the link work and I can't get it. Go to petedge.com and from there navigate on the left to Exercise Pens and then click soft sided. It is the only one there.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Soft Sided

Quote Originally Posted by cavimom
    Here is a link to the one I have:
    http://www.petedge.com/jump.jsp?item...EX&itemID=1411
    I love it. It is a little light, but Lily is not able to get under it. She has however, gotten over it a few times. I should have gotten the taller one, but I thought, no way she can get over. Either way, I do like it and so does Lily.
    I really like that kind, i wish i'd known about those when i was using one when zack was younger. I had the metal kind that was collapsable and it was 30" tall, with the 24" panels (Precision). It worked great for a couple of months, until Zack suddenly was able to jump out. I wanted to get one of the tops that they sell but i couldn't find the tops for sale anywhere. i called the company but they didn't return my call when i left a message. So i gave up on the xpen and just left him in the kitchen with gates until i could trust him to just be free in the apartment.

I really like the top that goes on that soft sided one. How tall are the sides? i didn't see that info on the ad.

Bruce and Linda, what cute photos of the adorable ones! I never saw a baby picture of Dudley before, what a precious little guy. that little face peering through the fence is a great shot! Bruce, that puppy in the cardboard box is so funny!

Post Thanks / Like

Bruce - I really like the cupboard xpen....