• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

X-Pen

Kody said:
Linda said:
One more wkd. :D :D :D :D :D

But I would never imagine that you are counting the days. :yikes :yikes :yikes

Oh you know too well how excited I am! I seem to be able to only look up doggie infor on the internet or go stand in pet stores for hours this wk. Literally I cant seem to do anything else! Oh its going to be a very very long 7 days I think...

You will survive, I did and so did everybody else.
It just seems like it is going to be forever but it will go by really really
slooooooooooooooooow. ;) ;) ;) :yikes :yikes :yikes
Go shovel your driveway. ;) ;) ;)

Linda said:
Go shovel your driveway. ;) ;) ;)
Heavens NO! Shoveling and doggie doo pick up is the hubby's forest! I'll compromise and go read one of the 3 new dog books I have with a nice cup of coffee ;)

Here's the one we used for Gus. We're not using it anymore, but it's nice to have just in case...or if we get another pup at some point.
This one can also form an octagon, and you can also buy extra panels for it to make it bigger.

IMG_1450.jpg

Jen - I've been looking at the plastic ones. How long did you use it for Gus? He didn't learn how to climb out of it?

Re: Soft Sided

Kody said:
I had the metal kind that was collapsable and it was 30" tall, with the 24" panels (Precision). It worked great for a couple of months, until Zack suddenly was able to jump out.
ot the metal kind but I think its only 24" (I wanted the shorter so my univer
What age was he able to jump out? I gsity daughter could use it for her rabbit when I'm done). What age approx can I expect her to be able to climb/jump out - hopefully it will last till 4mths?

I wish i could remember what age that was. I think about 6 months, and probably had more to do with hormones than anything, he was getting into a more adventurous mentality at that age. It migt have been 24" high. but the pen was by the kitchen table which was 30" high on the bottom, and i watched him spring straight up in the air and land on that table, and freedom, I had to get 48" high gates for the kitchen so that even if he jumped on the table, he still wouldn't be able to jump over. [/i]

nangel519 said:
Jen - I've been looking at the plastic ones. How long did you use it for Gus? He didn't learn how to climb out of it?

It isn't an easy X-pen to climb. Ours started to be able to jump over it at 7 months. Some cavaliers are natural born monkeys-- some will not jump over anything higher than a step.

nangel519 said:

He was 8 months old when we stopped using it and moved onto baby gates instead....still using 2 of them at 10 months old now.
He didn't try climbing out of it, but he'd try to push/slide it around. He's a Schnauzer---he's faster than Abbey our Cav, but he doesn't like to jump like she does--she jumps over anything and everything! :lol:

No one tell my girls they can get out of their xpen. Both are over a year old and they stay inside their pens without so much as a bother!

Yes, but the farm supply places sell them for less- I paid 48 USD for the last one I purchased. Sandy

WoodHaven said:
Some cavaliers are natural born monkeys--
Who posted that picture here of the cavalier hanging off the childproof gate! I love that picture :lol:

I have been thinking of getting rid of the soft sided one I bought to get plastic. Lily is getting to curious about its movements and I think any day now she will figure out if she jumps hard enough it will go over!

WoodHaven said:
Yes, but the farm supply places sell them for less- I paid 48 USD for the last one I purchased. Sandy

That's a great price! Check used baby stores and Craigslist.com as well--I managed to score one for $25 off there last year. I love that site!

Sam climbed out when he was still with his mum at 6 weeks! :yikes
I don't use an X-pen, we don't have enough space and when we leave we just leave him in the kitchen, there is nothing that can harm him or that he can break or chew on, so that's a good alternative.

[quote="Kody] Oh boy I hate looking at the expense for the things I know I am not going to use for more than 4-6mths. [/quote]

Are you SURE you will never use it after that?? We bring a couple xpens with whenever we go on vacation so the dogs can go in there without us having them on a lead at all times. I would NEVER leave them unattended, but in an xpen they do have a little more freedom. Last summer when we were at the Duluth dog show, I set up a lawn chair inside the xpens on a nice day and read a book while the dogs played inside the pen. None of our puppies or adults have even tried scaling our 30" pens.

Are you SURE you will never use it after that?? We bring a couple xpens with whenever we go on vacation so the dogs can go in there without us having them on a lead at all times. I would NEVER leave them unattended, but in an xpen they do have a little more freedom. Last summer when we were at the Duluth dog show, I set up a lawn chair inside the xpens on a nice day and read a book while the dogs played inside the pen. None of our puppies or adults have even tried scaling our 30" pens.

oh :( we never go on vacation - every one post tears for me now! We used to visit my parents country place where our lab had acres and was loose with us present. This time round, I wont let a dog off line in parks etc because I dont trust my training ability to that level to get a dog that behaved! Indoor doggie parks etc will have to do for me! But we have a nice large fenced backyard.

I wanted the smaller height so it could be used again. My daugher away at university has wanted one for her pet fuzzy american rabbit who I tell you thinks he is a dog. By getting the shorter one, she can have it after. I was just worried it would be too small for Kody.

The rabbit litterbox trained himself at 12 wks - out 5hrs a day, never an accident - why cant puppies be this easy :lol:

Back