• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Destroying her Kongs!

Remi

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice.

Remi is 13.5 weeks old now and we've gone thru 2 Kongs already! We had a puppy Kong at first, but she bit out little chunks of it within a few weeks. So last week we upgraded to the red Kong (same size as the puppy one though), which I think is for medium chewers. Well, she has already started to bite little chunks out of this one too! :sl*p: I think there is only one more Kong to get and that is the black one, which is supposed to be for the serious chewers. Now, in my head a "serious chewer" equals a Doberman Pincher or a Pit Bull or something, not my little 5.5lb Cavalier. :roll:

Does anyone else have a Cav who just chews their Kongs to death? Any other suggestions for a treat dispenser like the Kong? I don't like the idea of leaving her alone with a Kong if she is eating little bits of it but she absolutely loves the thing! :roll: :lol:

Thanks!

What a good girl! I wish Ollie was that interested in his kong :roll:

If the black kong is too big you can try these other toys:

Aussie Dog toys

www.aussiedog.com.au

Aussie Dog home alone toy

http://www.aussiedog.com.au/catalogue/c1/c8

Genius Leo dog toy

http://www.doggoneclean.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=225

ORKA toys

http://petstages.com/needs.asp?case=2

You can put treats in all of these! There are also other kong toys out there that might also work for Remi

Have fun toy shopping! :D

Tucker is a chewer now and always has been. I got him at 4.5 months and he chewed on lots of things. He goes through dog toys at such a rate that most of them are just a waste of money. So far, the nylabone chew bones seem to last the longest with him. I just gave him a frozen baby carrot to munch on because he was chewing on a tennis ball. He likes ice cubes too.

Lexi chewed pieces out of her Kong, too! I finally put it away, hoping when she gets older she'll get it back. (She's 9 months old.) She does love Nylabones though and doesn't seem to destroy them as easily. And, she loves ice cubes! :)

Those puppy teeth are like razors and can cut through anything if they his the angle just right. When they grow out of the puppy/teething phase, things tone down a bit, but not much. Are you putting stuff in the kong to keep her occupied or just giving it to her empty? If it was full, maybe she would focus on getting the stuffing out instead of "killing" it ;)

Cody is the same way. He chews like a pit bull!! I have to buy everything "for serious chewers" because nothing else will last.

I found some AWESOME toys from www.helpingudders.com that are virtually indestructable. My boys love love love the "treat stick", the "bouncy bone" and the "tug-a-jug". Check them out. The treat stick is easier to figure out, but the tug-a-jug they just can't seem to beat :badgrin: victory at last!!!! The chewies around the bouncy bone go quickly, but the smell stays on the toy itself and they can't get enough of it!

I have a different problem with the kong. They keep losing them. I have 3 red ones and one blue puppy one and they are always going missing. They are like socks in the dryer, one is always disappearing into another dimension.

Charleen: I know the feeling!! With 3+ dogs that gets expensive after a while :? I really don't understand where the heck those things go!!

Wesley does this weird thing that whenever I let him out to go potty, he takes one of his toys with him. He doesn't play with it outisde, he just drops it on the ground and leaves it there. I have lost more kongs that way, as well as fluffy toys that get caught in the rain that have to be thrown out :sl*p: I can't figure out why the heck he does it!!!

Get the Durable Nylabones...and don't be afraid to get the long/bigger ones. My two love to "hold" them with their front paws and chew the other end.

moniechris said:
Charleen: I know the feeling!! With 3+ dogs that gets expensive after a while :? I really don't understand where the heck those things go!!

Wesley does this weird thing that whenever I let him out to go potty, he takes one of his toys with him. He doesn't play with it outisde, he just drops it on the ground and leaves it there. I have lost more kongs that way, as well as fluffy toys that get caught in the rain that have to be thrown out :sl*p: I can't figure out why the heck he does it!!!

Cedar is constantly taking her toys outside. In fact, if she dashes out the door in a fit of excitement and happens to forget her toy, she'll turn and round, scratch to get back in, then find the first toy she can and run back outside!!

I'm constantly looking for toys to leave with the girls in the xpen as they spread their toys out fast than any human child ever could!

Back