• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy training

orla

Hi everyone,

Happy new year.

I have not been around, due to the fact that on Christmas Eve Santa and his little helpers. 9yr and 6yr old madams decided that our fourlegged baby Bella needed a new friend.

I had put my foot down when the original pup they were going to purchase looked like it may have been bred in a puppy farm, but lo and behold, the clever band of dad and daughters did their homework and found a good breeder.

Well she may indeed be a good breeder, but she has sent me the demonic monster puppy!!!!!!!!!

:oops:

Ok Kind of not really, but I swear, this puppy is MAD!!

I can cope with puppy madness, can even cope with the fact that her and Bella my five year old black and tan most beautiful dog on the planet, are not getting on all that well.
My problem is the house training.
This pup has consistent amnesia.

When I brought Bella home, she was house trained in just two weeks, she NEVER EVER had an accident in the house, newspapers were gone when she was four weeks old, when she needed to go out she would stand at the door, still does, or just shouts at us.

Our new baby however, who is a blenhim, gets it right one day and then spends all of the next day peeing and pooing everywhere humanly (doggily) possible.
I do all the usual things, take her out every half hour, every time she goes out she pees, and if she has eaten she will poo.

Tell me please, am I being too hard on her, am I expecting too much?

She is soooo cute and adorable, but I am a clean freak, and I refuse to just confine her to a small area of the house, I feel it is too unfair to her.

How do I post a pic of my babies?
HELP!!!!

thanks

Orla.
[/img]

Orla, sometimes it can take up to 4 months (or even longer) to house train a puppy, have you got paper or wee mats down...we had these positioned in the back room, kitchen and top of the stairs, then we slowly moved them to the back door and then the garden..... we always say go to wee also to associate words with the actions plus a small treat when completed.....

To post pictures Karlin has posted a helpful guide - I use photobucket which is easy when you know how.

Hi Claire,

Thanks so much for that information, I suppose I just needed a little sanity to tell me not to worry.
I do all the word assosciation stuff with new puppy (Pip) and when she is outside she sooo gets it, she is great, and I do all the Gooood girl and excited voice stuff too, the sheep in the back field keep looking at me like Im insane!

I sort of knew I was expecting miracles, I guess Bella was just too clever, but I didn't want to wait three months and then someone say, oh you should have done this or that.
I have the newspapers but just in one area, I left my Sunday newspaper on the floor and she peed on that, when I was reading it!!

I would love others to see my babies, so will go find how to post pics.

Many thanks again.

Orla

Does this work?

BellanPip.jpg

Orla - that worked. Very cute puppies!

PS. You can preview your post before submitting it by pressing the "preview" button and then you will see what your post will look like before submitting ;)

Some puppies just seem to get potty training quicker than others... Wesley and Cody both took A LOT longer than I expected, Cody is 6 months old and still needs to be watched like a hawk or else he will sneak off and leave me a nugget somewhere...like the front door right when people are coming over :sl*p: :yuk:

But yet he took to obedience training MUCH faster than Wesley did. It doesn't mean they aren't smart, it just means they need extra time and patience.

Confining her to a smaller area isn't cruel, its just taking the baby steps that are needed to not only keep her safe, but to help her learn. My trainer recomended keeping the pup on a lead with you in the house and have her follow where ever you go. That way, she isn't confined but she is supervised. You wouldn't expect a 3 month old human baby to be potty trained, its the same with puppies. They are just babies!!

If you pass the 16 -18 wk point and they are still having accidents (my two children were diaper trained at totally different ages too), I suggest going back to the crate, outside, feed, outside, play, outside, crate and repeat recipe for a while (also attaching them too you is great). By that age accidents are going to reinforce more accidents. Also make sure you are using enzyme cleaners after each accident.

The consensus seems to be as well from reading posts generally that B/Ts are possibly easier to train quickly. Or maybe it's the fact that they're the first dog. In some ways I found Holly (BT) as easier pup than Amber (ruby) but I have to admit that house training has been the exception. Amber was already virtually house trained when I got her. She knew what she had to do - it was the execution which needed work.

Hello, I am new here and just got my first Cavalier baby! I am very early in the potty training stage myself. I have kept Dottie confined in an Xpen in my kitchen. Like your pup, she does great outside, but still has accidents in her pen. I purchased a pet taxi for her tonight, so will try to start "crating" her at bedtime. I fear that we are in for a sleepless night, but I know that crate training is the best way ... it worked for our other two dogs. Maybe you should try the crate as well? I hate to confine her like that during the day, but since I am home 24/7 I can easily take her out frequently during the day. I am really hoping that the crate at night will help her learn to hold her potty longer though. Good luck and both of your babies are beautiful! ;)

Kim

Thank you everyone for all the helpful suggestions and kind words on how cute my babies are, they are gorgeous arent they? (LOL)

I should have related it to my two kids as Kody said, my first daughter got the whole potty training and out of nappies thing in a few days, my second daughter who was frequently refered to as the terror, took a lot lot lot longer.

So, I shall just get used to the fact that we have terror number 2 in our lives.
I like the idea of the leash, but it would never work for me, some days Im moving so fast I pass by myself, the poor baby would be exhausted.

Thanks again.

Orla

Back