• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Patella Issues

I think it's interesting that there really is a big discrepancy on what is involved in recovery from one vet to another.

Shelby was putting weight on her leg within a few days of her surgery. I was told that was okay. I was told to carry her to her potty spot the first couple of days and then walk her there on her leash.

We had a solid 8 weeks of recovery. Shelby was kept in an x-pen in the family room and did really well in it. She never climbed up on her back legs or tried to get out. Every once in a while Jake would go in...just to get a feel for it and see if he was missing anything...then realize he wasn't and want right back out :roll:

It does get easier. We had 8 weeks for the first surgery, and then it didn't hold and we had to do it again for another 8 weeks. You really get into a routine...but that first day of freedom is definitely absolute heaven.

I wish I could remember exactly when we started her on short walks. I'm thinking it was at about 4 weeks .... but don't hold me to that. We were at one point encouraged to take short 5-10 minutes several times a day.

One thing we did for the first several days was ice packs several times a day.

I also didn't have any problem with her bothering her stitches.

Cooper was given pain meds for about 10 days. And he came home with a fentanyl patch on as well which had to be taken off in 3 days. We just gave the course the vet told us. He was also on antibiotics for a week. He had excellent pain relief. He was obviously uncomfortable the first night but was never in any pain that I was worried about. They didn't put a buster collar on him straight away but said if he started licking that he would need one. I was amazed how quickly the wound healed up.

By about 3 days he seemed quite comfortable on his leg - still limping but happy to wander around the backyard and sniff all the good smells. :D

We were fortunate to have my parents to look after Cooper during the day and now hubbys parents. They set up a pen at their place for him and also look after Fergus. I think he's been left alone for about a max of 2 hours. Do you have anyone who can watch her or check up on her regularly while you're at work?

Cathy, you brought up a good point about the differing recovery periods - we actually had India confined to an xpen for 8 weeks, only going out on a lead for potty.

Then after the 8 weeks, we were allowed to start walking her for specific lengths of time on a lead. The walking continued for 3-4 weeks or so, increasing daily. And during those 4 weeks we still kept her in the pen so she wouldn't go on stairs or jump on/off furniture.

I guess I can watch her closely for signs of her overdoing it. I did catch her jumping up to the couch yesterday. I was sitting with her next to me on the floor. She stood and stretched. Next thing I knew she was climbing onto the couch, 3 legged. It was funny, but scared me! Right now having that bandage on is keeping her leg straight and putting weight onto it seems to be kind of difficult for her, so I feel lucky to have that. But, when it comes off I know I have to watch her more closely.

My vet just kind of blows the recovery off a bit. Not that he doesn't find it serious, but didn't really give a lot of advice. I guess that comes from doing so many of these that it is second nature to him. I was told he was excellent at these surgeries. The other vet in the office actually refused to do it since the other was free. He said he ws so much better and should be the one to do it. :)

Aside from the rain we are having and needing to bag her each time she goes out, she seems to be doing great. When we get the bandage off it will get nicer for taking her outside. No need to bag her up then!!!!

I am looking forward to the 6 weeks being past!

We go this afternoon to get Lily's staples removed. Ugh, I don't think I want to see that. She is doing GREAT! I am so proud of her. I am letting her out of her pen more and more because I am seeing that she does not use her leg much. Except when she breaks into a run outside to chase a cat! But truly, she is doing very well. Even her housebreaking is getting better. We are on the road to recovery for sure!!!!

Hi Nicole

Hope all went well with Lily at the vets. When Odie was 4 mths he broke his little toe (a bigger dog stood on his leg!) and was in a splint for over 6 weeks. He didn't have any trouble making his way around the garden. It's amazing how they adapt so well. It was so hard trying to make him stay still and it was during the Summer so he just wanted to be outside all the time running around.

He has now made a full recovery. I've attached a picture of Odie when I brought him back from the vet, he looked so sorry for himself. Incidently, after taking this picture I noticed that the vet had put the splint on the wrong leg !! She was so embarrassed when I brought him back up !

DSCF0106-1-1.jpg

Back