Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with crate training ASAP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help with crate training ASAP

I have had these two puppies for two weeks now and they are doing great with housebreaking during the day. The problem is at night. They each have their own crate, and every night the pee and poop in their crate. This is our schedule please advice me on how I can change. We go to be at 10pm we let them out to the bathroom at 9:45 then my hubby sets the alarm for 1am, by then they have already gone to the bathroom. So he cleans them up and gets up at 4:30 and they have done it again. So he gives them a bath and goes off to work. I have tried making their crates as small as I can. (just made a bigger mess) Everything that i have read says that they don't like to go to the bathroom where they sleep. I am so discouraged. Does anyone have any advice on how to help them at night?

Thanks,
    Jennifer

Post Thanks / Like

how old are these puppies? (trying to think of a better solution)
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Can you ring your breeder? A good breeder will help you through this problem. If these were 'internet' puppies or pet store or backyard breeder puppies - then you may have some difficulty in training them as they probably were reared in cages where they peed and pooped all over each other and down to the cages below or in small spaces where the mother couldn;t keep her whelping area cleaned (this is what trains puppies to start recognising their immediate area as a 'clean zone' and jump[starts housetraining). They won't have any knowledge from their mother of how to keep the whelping area (eg den) clean because there won't have been any opportunity to teach this.

It would be unusual for puppies to be going on themselves this early in the evening.

I recommend getting this book:

http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DTB132

Make sure they are not having treats/food etc within several hours of bedtime. Lift water about 2-3 hours before bedtime. take them out for a walk to get them to eliminate before crating. DON'T just let them out -- walk them, to make sure they are going. If needed you'll perhaps have to get up earlier then a second time during the night til they understand that crates need to be kept clean. Also you can take out blankets etc which allow them a soft place to wee and poop. Use a flat pad not bunched up blankets. You could also try to put them in an xpen with puppy pads rather than crate. Might be easier to get them to use the pads and forget about crates at night for now.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Charlie is 18 weeks and Peanut is 12 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you cutting off food and water at about 6pm?

Post Thanks / Like

I have cut food out at 6 but I have left the water out until 7:30

Post Thanks / Like

I had this trouble with Alfie. Is it possible to put the crates in the kitchen with the kitchen door shut but with the crates left open and pads across the other side from them. Then instead of using the crate Alfie got out went to the loo on the special pads then back to his crate.
    Yvonne

Mum to Harvey (blenheim) & Alfie (tri)xx

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need help with crate training ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by jens6pack
    We go to be at 10pm we let them out to the bathroom at 9:45 then my hubby sets the alarm for 1am, by then they have already gone to the bathroom. So he cleans them up and gets up at 4:30 and they have done it again. So he gives them a bath and goes off to work.
    Sorry this sound way over my head, but I have full faith in Karlin, Kathy or Sandy having sound advise for you.

I just wanted to ask; can we clone your husband?!! Wow that is dedication!

Post Thanks / Like

Are you cleaning the crates with enzymatic cleaning solution? If not than the lingering scent will also encourage them to go again. I'd try the puppy pad approach but be aware some pups think they're for shredding, so if you find that then it might be easier to set up the pen on a piece of flooring that's easily cleaned. But I'd get them to the vet as well, especially if you have been lifting food and drink. A pup should not be messing at nightat 18 weeks, especially when you're taking them out. Most pups by 12 weeks or so don't need to be taken out overnight at all!
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for all of the replies so far. I will be calling the vet in the morning. I hope that they are alright. So do you think something other than behavior could be wrong with them? They did it again last night, I lifted the food and water at 5:30pm. It took me a long time to decied that I was ready to take on the challenges of a puppy. Before I made the leap I read everything I could find. This is just odd that they are acting this way. Oh we have been cleaning the crates with natures miricle and windex.

Jennifer