• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hello all, I'm hoping to get some help on MVD

Terri Voltz

My 6 1/2 year old guy, Rudy, is stricken with it, and probably has been for a couple of years, now that I look back and have recognized the signs of it from what I've recently read, researching the disease on google. He is in miserable shape, and has little to no energy. His tummy is bloated and has been solid like a drum, until yesterday when the vet drained 2 cups of fluid from him, and wants to take more on Monday. He walks slowly, and his eyes look like he's in pain, or at least very very sad. :( :( The dilema that I and my husband have, is HOW LONG should we do this??? We don't KNOW if he's hurting...he wags his tail and loves to beg food from us, but is barely eating his own kibbles. He coughs a lot, and can't go for walks at all. Just so not sure if we're being cruel by continuing this way. The last thing I want is for him to die alone, when we're at work. We have loved him SO MUCH, as has the entire neighborhood, the grandkids, nieces, nephews....we just cry at the prospect of losing him. At the same time, I'm already contacting breeders in our area to get a new one this summer. I can't imagine life without our little Rudy-toot...but I don't want to get another puppy quite yet. We want to devote all our love and attention to this sick little fella for now. Anyhow, I digress. What I'd really like to know, is what to expect in the coming days, if we should put him to sleep before it gets worse, or if he's still able to wag that ol' tail...should we just keep on????

Sorry to hear you are going through such difficulties. Has the vet put him onto any medication -- eg frusemide and vetmedin? Both of these drugs potentially should help him considerably. Once you have the fluid under control and some response to medication you will be much better able to determine his quality of life. Many dogs have a swift improvement once their symptoms are brought under control and can live many further months or years comfortably. I am sure others with affected cavaliers will offer advice. :flwr:

Wow! that was quick! Yes, Rudy's on meds: 10MG Enalapril and 40MG Furosemide. No improvement after 4 weeks of this. Bloating had actually worsened, to the point where, like I mentioned, they drained his tummy of 2 cups of fluid. That really seemed to help him a bit, he's a little more perky when he walks, but he's still mostly lying down. I'm kinda worried too, because the hole in his tummy is still leaking a bit...I'm going to bathe him now, because his belly is all icky from oozing fluid throughout the night. Thanks! Terri

Hi,

We went through this with our beloved Charley, who had been on meds for years before getting really bad.

Sorry that you're going through it, it's very hard.

Is he also on pemobendine(sp?) also called Vetmendin (sp?) not sure about spelling, sorry.

Your doggie is on a water tablet and beta blocker but the last is an ACE inhibitor and helped our Charley considerably for a few months.

Hope your Rudy improves greatly with the medical help. :flwr: :flwr:

Back