• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ointment?

CVFlagg

Well I think we are on the path to discovering the source of my little pups hair loss that I had posted about earlier. After visiting the dermatologist he thinks that we are dealing with a food allergy. We are currently on a short term steriod and an 8 week food trial to try and confirm the diagnosis. If it's not food we will then move on to testing for environmental allergies. I did mention SM and was so relieved that my doctor knew all about and had even diagnosis a few cavaliers with it.

Anyways, since he is still pretty itchy, he is still kind of scratching/knawing at a spot on his belly right next to his little peepee. Does anyone know if it is okay to put something like neosporin on it? It is red and a little scabbed over, I just feel bad if it is hurting him. If anyone knows the policy on over the counter topical ointments, I would greatly appreciate any tips!

Best thing is to ask your vet. Some human medications are deadly for dogs or cats so it is good to make absolutely sure about the brand and the ingredients, especially in an area where the dog can easily lick off the area off application.

Hope you will be able to single out the cause. :flwr:

Checked around on the net on some vet sites and neosporin seems to be fine but I'd check that this would actually help and not irritate.

You should probably ask your vet, because they might not want him to ingest the ointment.

When India had her knee surgery, our vet told us to spray Bactine first aid spray on her incision, as she would not like the taste and the spray would actually clean the incision a little. It worked fairly well to keep her from licking it.

You might want to ask the vet if that would be ok.

Back