Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Owning a Cav causes mental stress?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Owning a Cav causes mental stress?

I know this is off-the-wall, but does anyone else feel mentally stressed from owning their Cav? I love Kingston so much that I am constantly worrying about him. When he scratches, I wonder if he has SM; when we go for walks I'm terrified he'll pick something up and swallow it; when he jumps off the bed (despite having doggy steps) I flinch thinking he might hurt himself. It's especially stressful during the day when I can't be with him. It's hard and I get so sad being away from him for any length of time. I guess I'm trying to see if other people deal with these emotions or if I'm just being crazy. I honestly have never experienced these feelings in my entire life. If something ever happened to this dog I would go off the deep end. It's scary how much I love him.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not quite so bad as you but I do worry about the slightest thing out of the ordinary with Bertie and I hate to ba away from him.

I've always had mongrels in the past and don't ever remember being such a worrier with them.

If Bertie sneezes, I worry, if he sleeps a little more than normal, I worry, anything, I worry! lol!

I'm learning to be a bit more relaxed as he's growing, he's six months old now but I still worry a hundred times more than I have with my previous dogs.

Alison

Post Thanks / Like

I definately worry about Ollie scratching!

And when he goes up and down stairs and slips around on the wooden floor

Oh no! lol
    Emily and Ollie (29/10/06)

Post Thanks / Like

wow that tennis ball looks huge in ollies mouth!!!!!! how does it fit!....yea i know the worry....i am 4ever worried about them!!!!!! it is quite stressing actually....but its died down loads now...it was mainly when they were younger and now only when there is sumthing 2 b worried about ill worry.

Edited to say: but they give me much more joy than stress...and as i said now since theyre older id rather enjoy what i have with them rather than worry all the time which is becoming easier every day.
    xXNishaXx
    Milo & Monty~ (Males, Blenheims, born 25/11/05 )
    Ally (Daschund - not with me)

Post Thanks / Like

i thought that i was the only one who worried like that i feel better knowing that i am not alone.
    Natalie, mummy to lady (blen) 8 months old

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used to worry a lot when they were young. Having raised 2 other puppies in the past helped a lot, and reading dog magazines and books helped too, especially books written by vets and cavalier books.

I try not to worry too much about SM and MVD. Geordie and Chocolate both have slight heart murmurs, so we're planning to schedule a cardio appointment soon. I have two 3 year olds and a 4 year old - I'm thinking about starting a journal for each of them to keep track of scratching and scooting behaviors, just so I won't accidentally overlook something.

Basically I'm trying to enjoy as many moments with them as I possibly can, and providing them with a safe, healthy, loving environment. What's really nice about this board is that we all have this in common!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, I enjoy having my Cavvie......all the time.

We know that she was abused, has some problems that are concerning but it's much better for everyone if we just enjoy the time we have together.

Having lost our beloved Charley last summer, I know how terrible that is and that Mary Alice has helped us all regain some sort of equalibrium.

Mary Alice is a total delight, can't imagine life without a Cavvie!

It's been proven that having a pet is good for your mental and physical health....no negatives for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quite the opposite... it is clinically proven that dogs reduce stress and depression in owners!
    [B][COLOR=yellowgreen]We[/COLOR] [COLOR=plum]Love [/COLOR][COLOR=yellowgreen]Cicero[/COLOR]![/B]
    [B][COLOR=yellowgreen]"Suum Cuique"[/COLOR][/B]
    (To Each Thier Own)

Post Thanks / Like

I worry a ridiculous amount as well. It's because they are just sooooo special to me that I tear up the second I think of something bad happening to them. These guys are like my children, and my bond is so close to them that I couldn't imagine life without them. Really, I don't want any biological children because if I worry this much about dogs, I am going to be the most overbearing parent on the planet!!!!
    I love my Wesley, Cody, Zoey & Stewie

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, total worrier. I especially can't stand it when anyone picks Dylan up in case they drop him. And eveyone wants to pick him up. Even if they are on the sofa, my rule is, he is only alowd on up if he is sleepy and more likely to lie still!

I'm just the same with my kids who are all grown up now. I still tell my 19 year old to be careful crossing the road and she can't go up the shop in the dark!!!!

I'm a total nervous wreck!!!