• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Owning a Cav causes mental stress?

KingstonsMom

I know this is off-the-wall, but does anyone else feel mentally stressed from owning their Cav? I love Kingston so much that I am constantly worrying about him. When he scratches, I wonder if he has SM; when we go for walks I'm terrified he'll pick something up and swallow it; when he jumps off the bed (despite having doggy steps) I flinch thinking he might hurt himself. It's especially stressful during the day when I can't be with him. It's hard and I get so sad being away from him for any length of time. I guess I'm trying to see if other people deal with these emotions or if I'm just being crazy. I honestly have never experienced these feelings in my entire life. If something ever happened to this dog I would go off the deep end. It's scary how much I love him.

I'm not quite so bad as you but I do worry about the slightest thing out of the ordinary with Bertie and I hate to ba away from him.

I've always had mongrels in the past and don't ever remember being such a worrier with them.

If Bertie sneezes, I worry, if he sleeps a little more than normal, I worry, anything, I worry! lol!

I'm learning to be a bit more relaxed as he's growing, he's six months old now but I still worry a hundred times more than I have with my previous dogs.

Alison

I definately worry about Ollie scratching! :shock:

And when he goes up and down stairs and slips around on the wooden floor :?

Oh no! :sl*p: lol

wow that tennis ball looks huge in ollies mouth!!!!!! how does it fit!....yea i know the worry....i am 4ever worried about them!!!!!! it is quite stressing actually....but its died down loads now...it was mainly when they were younger and now only when there is sumthing 2 b worried about ill worry. ;) :p

Edited to say: but they give me much more joy than stress...and as i said now since theyre older id rather enjoy what i have with them rather than worry all the time which is becoming easier every day.

i thought that i was the only one who worried like that i feel better knowing that i am not alone.

I used to worry a lot when they were young. Having raised 2 other puppies in the past helped a lot, and reading dog magazines and books helped too, especially books written by vets and cavalier books.

I try not to worry too much about SM and MVD. Geordie and Chocolate both have slight heart murmurs, so we're planning to schedule a cardio appointment soon. I have two 3 year olds and a 4 year old - I'm thinking about starting a journal for each of them to keep track of scratching and scooting behaviors, just so I won't accidentally overlook something.

Basically I'm trying to enjoy as many moments with them as I possibly can, and providing them with a safe, healthy, loving environment. What's really nice about this board is that we all have this in common! :flwr:

Nope, I enjoy having my Cavvie......all the time.

We know that she was abused, has some problems that are concerning but it's much better for everyone if we just enjoy the time we have together.

Having lost our beloved Charley last summer, I know how terrible that is and that Mary Alice has helped us all regain some sort of equalibrium.

Mary Alice is a total delight, can't imagine life without a Cavvie! :flwr: :flwr:

It's been proven that having a pet is good for your mental and physical health....no negatives for us. :)

I worry a ridiculous amount as well. It's because they are just sooooo special to me that I tear up the second I think of something bad happening to them. These guys are like my children, and my bond is so close to them that I couldn't imagine life without them. Really, I don't want any biological children because if I worry this much about dogs, I am going to be the most overbearing parent on the planet!!!! icon_whistling

Yes, total worrier. I especially can't stand it when anyone picks Dylan up in case they drop him. And eveyone wants to pick him up. Even if they are on the sofa, my rule is, he is only alowd on up if he is sleepy and more likely to lie still!

I'm just the same with my kids who are all grown up now. I still tell my 19 year old to be careful crossing the road and she can't go up the shop in the dark!!!!

I'm a total nervous wreck!!! :?

I can ABSOLUTELY understand your stress. I can relate to it because I've experienced some of it myself. I never imagined I could become as I am with regard to a pet. It's difficult for me to even use the word pet when I think of my relationship with Tucker. One thing that I've tried to tell myself is that although I want to be informed about cavaliers, and diseases they are prone to, I do not want to spend too much time dwelling on it. I can look at Tucker as my much loved companion or I can look at him as a potential patient. I prefer a companion. I bring him for regular checkups at the vet, and if he's sick he goes in to be seen. I rely upon experts to tell me if my dog is healthy or unhealthy. Since I've put him on a diet that works for him, I feel much more relieved. The old worries creep in from time to time, is this an itch or is this a symptom of SM and then I tell myself to stop. Jeez, it's winter, my skin is dry and itches, dry flaky skin on my body is just that, I moisturize for it, I don't run to a website on dermatologic disorders.

For me the depth of the love I feel for Tucker was unexpected. I have no children. Perhaps if I were a mother I would not worry as I have. But I'm relieved to say, I've turned a corner, not completely worry free, but I no longer look at him for symptoms. I look at him with love and pleasure. Enjoy Kingston.

edited to include: Chris I've had the same thoughts myself with regard to what I'd be like as a parent. Based on my reaction to Tucker, I suspect I'd be one of those incredibly nervous mothers. Although at least with human babies I have experience, being one of 7 children, and having 12 nieces and nephews. I had lots of experience mothering, just not to a furbaby.

I can totally relate! I used to be a terrible worrier. Now that mine are 3 and 4 years old I really don't worry as bad as I used to. Both of mine have been through surgeries and illnesses and I think having been through this has eased me a bit. I was so stressed about the surgeries but we survived and are better for it, I think. Once they get a little older I really found I didn't worry as much.

Funny you should say this though. I was laying in bed last night and thinking "I want cuddles from my puppies" (they sleep in crates, not with us). And I wondered how parents feel. Do they miss their children when they put them to bed and want to cuddle with them. It's kind of ridiculous. I work at home so I spend all day with them. It's almost scary how much I love them. I've had cats and was very attached to my cats. But this is over the top. Wouldn't trade them for the world but had no idea how smitten I would be.

Okay, feel I must reply......

Children are wonderful too, you love them like mad too, and they are very expensive just like our Cavvies.

Children, however, grow and change.....you're Cavvie won't!!

What you see in a Cavvie, is what you get....for their whole life!! :lol: :lol:

Cathy-- you said that so eloquently.
I've had pets all my life-- but cavaliers changed me. I worry more about them -- but, when I go to sleep and they are curled around me (better than any electric blanket) there is a sense of PEACE I get that is unlike any other.
My older daughter calls my Katrina her "other" sister. She assisted at the c/section spay of Katrina and kept saying to the doctors-- you are working on my moms "other" baby.

I don't worry, but it was a conscious decision. I know the risks and I do everything possible to alleviate what I can through training. I work with the vet on what can be fixed with their health. I know that Pippin and Merry got the raw end of the DNA pool and they have & will have lots of problems, but I have decided to enjoy every moment that I have them. To appreciate the good times and do the best I can for them in the bad times.

I can relate to this but not with any pets I have had. While reading your story it sounded so familar - it was me, but with the 2.5 yrs of my daughters life. When the second was born at that time, she was so relaxed and an easy baby, I realized I fussed too much over the first. First babies can be that way cause mom is a little wound up! My thinking here, is its the same. Try to relax and not worry over every little thing - SM or other illnesses if present will be noticable with consistent signs over a period of time. I swore my first born had every illness under Dr Spocks index (ha did I show my age!)

MathisGreen said:
Quite the opposite... it is clinically proven that dogs reduce stress and depression in owners!

Heee that was my calling card to get a cav! After our lab I wanted a dog pretty quick - I have never in my life since 5 not had clicking of doggie toe nails on my floor! Having a slight balance disorder (Getting Older Is Inevitable. Growing Up Is Optional) I remember training a lab enough to know I'd be on my face in 30 sec!. So to push for the Cavalier which I set my mind on was definately going to be my first breed other than a lab - I pulled stats showing a study that a cavalier because of their nature to be lap dogs reduced high blood pressure (oh yet another recent ailment). OK my husband is not so stupid he fell for it, but weakened none the less realizing when I start using arguements like that, I wont stop till I get my way. See husbands are easier to train than the family pet!

I'm with Kody about this. Having had children, I really don't think I feel the same about our puppy (but it's early days yet at 20 weeks!). If one's flesh and blood are ill, it is a complete nightmare and I worry about my three all the time, and no doubt will continue to do so for a long time to come. My anxieties connected to the dog are mainly that if I let anything happen to her it would devastate the children. I know I would get over it, in spite of being besotted with her myself - but I hate seeing my children upset (although it's a necessary part of life).

I suppose if one doesn't have kids these dogs really can wind themselves round your heart in a similar way! Even so, one does have to get a sense of perspective and relax a bit and leave it to fate to a degree.

I'm exactly the same ever since i got lady i'm so over protective, when my little sister try's to play with her i'm always shouting at her it's horrible :x :x
But u have to get them used to being on there on as you would never get to go anywhere.
I went to my little sisters christmas play which i brought lady and the principal stood on the stage and told me to leave the building or put the mut in a cage :x :x :x :x :x :x well what i didn't say ,i'll put u in a cage lady is no mut.She let me stay anyway but the cheek :D :D

hahaha Jade you are a character!!! Even I haven't gone that far with Tucker. Although, I would like to bring him with me everywhere too.

Back